A 10+hp pocket bike engine for $160!

Status
Not open for further replies.

5-7HEAVEN

:cool:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230203621196&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=013

I bought this engine on Friday, and it's on the way. The Ebay price was irresistable.

It's just what I wanted, massive hp and torque. It is the ultimate air-cooled engine.

The engine was dynoed at 10.38hp @ 10,000rpm, and 5.7 foot-pounds @ 7300rpm. Mind-boggling power for an air-cooled pocket bike engine. The biggest problem will be preventing meltdown from overheating, detonation and driving safely. Racing gas and a stiff gear ratio should tame this engine that I named "Hellacious".

A STATON gear chain drive with 14t drive sprocket will keep top speed down to 28mph for starters. Max torque is at 21mph. Acceleration should be brutal.

The seller previously lived in Hawaii, so cut me a great deal on shipping. He suggested that I install nitrous oxide, as that's what he built the engine for.

I'll never use nitrous. I'm only slightly crazy, not THAT crazy.:)

Myron

Last edited by a moderator:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
are you going to the races, brother?? hehe

that's some monster power!

your signature line is getting less convincing!! she's gonna figure it out. lol

seriously....whatcha gonna build with it?

WOW! i can't wait to see this on a bicycle and here about what it will do. sounds like a fun project that is for sure. you will definatly be wild on the streets

be careful ya dont turn the bike to a pretzel when ya ease the throttle on! theres some awesome small engines out there to twiddle with! http://pocketbikesunlimited.com/ here ya go! check this link out! its all in the pocket book & the wrist!

:cool:Heh heh Dave, I've got my toys, my wife has her "stuff".

wavy, that site is one of my favorite sites.

"Hellacious" will mount on my 20" DAHON. If that doesn't work out, maybe my cruiser.

You're right, atcspaul, this will definitely be "Wild in the streets."

No racing, but I'll find hills to conquer.

Myron

Last edited by a moderator:
exciting

this is very exciting :eek:,the worst that can happen is bent steel!probably the frame,dropouts.the staton box is gonna want to pull the axle towards it:eek:i want pictures,great build!good luck.

Tell me about bent steel. Last night, I was working on my muffler and cranked the R460 in the basement. For some reason, the throttle was stuck wide open and when she fired, the bike pulled from my grasp, shot across the basement and into the wall. I got it shut down but it bent the 3/8" mounting bolt holding the Staton gear box to my forward strut. That was only 4.2 HP, ten could get ugly.

:cool:In preparation for "Hellacious", I split the STATON box, removed the Mitsubishi engine and bolted on my mild pocket bike engine onto the gear chain box. The ADA goped tuned pipe cleared everything. I just need to brace the pipe, install a tank, order the throttle cable and STATON sprocket.

I think I'll need a governor and bumper guards for the engine.

Myron

If I were you, I would use grade 8 3/8" bolts for the forward and aft gear box mounts. I'm going to switch out as soon as I can find some long enough.

:cool:kerf, my front bolt is grade 8, but the rear bolt is 3/8" all-thread.

It makes it much easier to align/add/remove spacers to align the box.

Maybe I can use front axles instead of bolts, for the gear box.

I might swap out the small hardware to grade 8, and cross-brace the support rods.

Myron

Status
Not open for further replies.