A 20" bike with engine. Has anyone done it?

5-7HEAVEN

:cool:Howziit guys. i have a DAHON folding bike with 35cc friction drive. i think this bike is meant for smooth pavement and short rides less than 15mph. let me hear your thoughts of using a stronger 20" bike, maybe a BMX. Thanks.

Myron

i was thinking of putting my 50cc twostroke on a bmx but my engine is too tall and i would need to cut and move the top tube of the bike to make it fit, im not sure about your engine tho, it would be **** cool if you could!

:cool:thanks for responding. i like the 20" bike size, but the DAHON can be squirrelly at times. just trying to find a stronger, better handling frame. i've seen 20" bikes with chinese engines on SPOOKYTOOTH'S website, so it can be done but not on BMX frames.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive Done It!

I got the kit for $144.50 off ebay and put the whole thing together from scratch. I mean the bike started as individual pieces. I found a frame(not schwinn) with a fork and that was the beginning. I had to get a new custom sprocket on the back to keep the drive rate the same so I got a sprocket from the motorcycle/scooter shop, i think it was like 28 or something. I can go 35 and got 150 miles per gallon. But then at about 400 miles I blew a head gasket. Then I took it apart and made a new el cheapo head gasket. Thhen as I was putting it back together one of the sides of the piston skirts broke so I tried to put t back together anyways and then a piston ring broke. Then I got really ****ed and gave up and bought a new motor off dax for $168.00. Just the motor but at least I can get replacement parts if I need them. Now it needs to get put back together. I also got pulled over the first week for driving int the bike lane and not being 16 yet but he let me off on a warning and told me to pedal it. Good luck.

Attachments

• BIKE MANIA@@@@@7678.jpg
    BIKE MANIA@@@@@7678.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 595
:cool:Fogg, that's the exact frame i'm looking for! what make is it, and did you buy it new? can you measure dimensions for me, where your engine is mounted? i have rack mounted engines and chinese engines, so i can go either way.
thanks for the info.

Myron

5-7HEAVEN: for the cheapest price, (if you're wanting actual Schwinn) is to look for Schwinn Stingray Frames from the LATE 70's to early 80's, Those Schwinn frame for 20 inch came out in 1963 and the early year frames are pretty Salty (especially Krate series)

or an even cheaper route, look on ebay or heck even walmart for those purple Brat's bikes, there's a guy here on the forums that has put an engine on one,

side-note don't even try to put an engine on a schwinn fast-back frame, wasted about 2 weeks on one when I tried it, but that's how I like it though, live and learn and have dirty hands in the process....

good luck

:cool:Thanls for responding,JunkersBikes. now i know what to look for.

what do you mean by "salty"?

This 20" with coaster brake was my first MotoredBike and it worked quite well. I put probably a few hundred miles on it with no problems. Then I just wanted something new and different so now this frame just sits in my shed.
272748978_l.jpg

:cool:as TERMINATOR II would say..."That's a nice bike." lots of custom mod, but it wouldn't work for me because it sticks out like a pink elephant. i'm trying for low profile.:cool:

Back