A better exhaust gasket

Chainlube

Local time
6:22 AM
I blew the exhaust gasket yesterday on my daily, so I made anew one from a bulk sheet that I use for kart motors. Took the crappy fiber one out of a kit and traced it on the sheet. Then I drilled the holes and cut it out with tin snips, resized the holes to match the head with a high speed rotary tool and BAM! back in business.

Attachments

• gasket.jpg
    gasket.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 253
Nice work. Probably not quite as easy as grabbing a spare out of the drawer that was ordered earlier for cheap. Nice and fast none the less.

Thanks guys, I never was an order a gasket kinda guy. I have lots of gasket material. Just no copper sheets, I thought I had one but can't seem to find it now.

Smart you are to use good quality gasket material.
Make a few while your at it. You'll always have an extra one ready.
The last thing I want to do when working on my motorbike is to stop and make a gasket.

I do keep a couple rolls of gasket material of different thicknesses around just in case. I bought a set of 5 head and jug gaskets, and another complete set with all the gaskets. So far I've only gone through one exhaust gasket. The support bracket broke and it started loosening up.

It's funny you guys say that, because just before I went to bed (work nights) I made an extra gasket. Of course that material comes in a sheet instead of a roll.

The cheap roll gasket material that i currently have does suck. I should unroll it between 2 boards for a while or something. But i don't really want to compress it..

It's funny you guys say that, because just before I went to bed (work nights) I made an extra gasket. Of course that material comes in a sheet instead of a roll.
Where would a guy buy a sheet like that Got a link?

I've been using Mr. Gasket Ultra Seal 1/16" Exhaust Gasket sheet - Graphite with a steel mesh center.
A 10" x 10" sheet for $12.99 made me 20 gaskets for my Whizzer Motorbike.
That was over 10 years ago and I've given a few gaskets away to friends over the years. Today the gasket sheet costs $14.99
I just checked I only have 2 exhaust gaskets left. I think its time to make another 10 years supply of exhaust gaskets.
Any info on what you used would be helpful I would like to compare Exhaust Gasket Materials before I buy another sheet of Mr Gasket.

Maybe NAPA, can't remember, I've had it for a while. Try a FLAPS, this might help.

Attachments

• IMG_0644.JPG
    IMG_0644.JPG
    233.3 KB · Views: 217
Back