A bike for finding tarantula and snakes.

brc995

Local time
8:26 PM
Hey guys, I live in a town called Surprise Arizona, its a far northwest suburb of Phoenix. From my house I can drive 10 minutes (in a car) and be into the desert. I currently only have a car and I'm looking to build a bike that I could take down dirt roads to look for snakes and tarantula to photograph. I'm not interested in going fast at all, as its pretty easy to miss small insects when your going 20+ miles an hour. What I'm looking for is a bike that will be extremely reliable, have good torque to make it up relatively steep uphills, and something that could pull a small one wheel bike trailer to hold my camera, snake handling gear, and some food and water. I know this is a lot to ask from a bike, but I want to use a motorized bike because I could leave my house and go right into the desert (without getting a motorcycle endorsement on my license) and I want a project to work on.

My price range is under 700$ which gives me a good deal to work with. I'm currently looking at getting a 4 stroke 79cc monster 90 kit with the beach cruiser that comes with it. I'm planning on replacing the rims with gasbikes aluminum mag wheels that come with a 44T sprocket attached directly to the hub, I'd also plan on replacing the stock chain tensioner with gasbikes Arch Idler Pulley Chain Tensioner as ive heard the stock tensioner is kinda crappy. Right now that puts my full build at 560$. Are their any add on you guys would suggest or anything that you'd recommend doing differently?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-11-28 at 9.29.14 AM.png
    Screenshot 2019-11-28 at 9.29.14 AM.png
    143.3 KB · Views: 220
Dude 100 percent if I was going to sneak up on wildlife and shoot them with a camera I would go electric. For $700 dollars you could build a smooth silent 30mph easy pull your trailer maybe 50 mile range wildlife snapping machine!

Thanks for the response man! My reason for going gas over electric is for two reasons. Really I just like the idea of a gas bike way more (just seems so much cooler to me). Secondly, I have actual hundreds of miles of unmaintained roads around my house. I like the idea of being able to carry a spare gas can and be able to travel from dusk to dawn.

Not sure why you would need mag wheels if the monster kit bike comes with wheels and the sprocket attached already. That sprocket would probably be a 44T. The tensioner is a good buy as the stock one are a pain and dangerous. You need two types of active puncture protection or even more for you since you are in the desert. I would at minimum go tire liners on front and tire liners + slime tube for rear. I would even replace that back tire with a good tire to be anal about it.

Bakaneko, the kit doesn't come with the sprocket already attached. its a stock bike plus the kit and you put it all together. The stock sprocket attaches to the spokes which I've heard is much less reliable.

Bakaneko, your main suggestion is to add tire liners to the front and back along with slime liners...... Would tubeless tires work?

I havent tried them but I heard good things in terms of puncture protection for tubeless but note they cost a lot. The tire liners and slime tube for rear is like about $20-25 and easy to add. I wouldnt think there be a reason why anyone would not put them on. I would just try the tire liners and slime tube for now and see if you get punctures or flats. It might be enough.

Also, as many would point out you could get front forks but that depends on the bike. I have no suspension on my 100lb ebike hybrid and its freakin painful on a rough road.

frogslayer, looks delish lol!

ill certainly add the tire liners and slim tube as well. All the plants out here has thorns and spines lol.

Do you guys think I'd be better off getting just the motor kit without the bike, then finding a front suspension, front disk brakes mountain bike to throw the motor on?

Again, im not looking for a dirtbike. just a slow offroad capable cruiser!

I dont think you will easily find a mountain bike that can fit a Predator 79cc or even a 49cc HuaSheng. Most are on cruisers with the big tear drop frame.

Okay. I just looked at that kit from GasBike. A few things, it has only a coaster brake so its definitely not worth buying the bike. You can get cruisers with front disc brakes and 6-7 speed rear cassettes for like $130-150. Also, Gasbikes are notoriously unreliable so I would buy as little as possible from them to mitigate risk.

EDIT: I mean front caliper brakes not disc. Though I dunno it might exist for that price range. Not having a front brake is like asking to be hurt.

I've been off roading maybe a little more than I should on my bike lol. My next bike I plan on doing exactly what your saying, finding a sweet 7 speed bike with a suspension fork and disc front at least. My next build will have a Jack shaft for sure.

I've also only seen the predator 79cc on cruiser frames and have heard that its pretty hard to find a frame that will fit! I will heed your advice and only buy the engine kit without the bike and find a decent cruiser that will work.

Back