a caution on bevel gears

crassius

Local time
5:36 AM
Just got in a new set of kits - all were good except that the factory had failed to grease the bevel gears. Last order was good, but order before that also had no grease and two gears completely stripped all the teeth off in less than a week. I then went into the boxes and greased all the remaining motors, so no problems after that.

Something that needs checking before starting the motor from a new kit.

Next thing you know they'll stop installing the bolts to save costs.

Some do that already. If I buy a Zeda 80 2 stroke I can pick one up that needs to have the cylinder and head installed for $119.00 or I could pay $10 for them to assemble it.

Just got in a new set of kits - all were good except that the factory had failed to grease the bevel gears. Last order was good, but order before that also had no grease and two gears completely stripped all the teeth off in less than a week. I then went into the boxes and greased all the remaining motors, so no problems after that.

Something that needs checking before starting the motor from a new kit.
I thought I had a handle on these aftermarket heads. Just got some new ones in from mz. they used to be 8cc. the new ones are 6.6. Never a dull moment. Just about all the engines I get skimp on the grease so that is one of the common steps in my things to do before installing routine.

I thought I had a handle on these aftermarket heads. Just got some new ones in from mz. they used to be 8cc. the new ones are 6.6. Never a dull moment. Just about all the engines I get skimp on the grease so that is one of the common steps in my things to do before installing routine.
They probably got tired of us bitching about their crappy dried out grease and said screw you you guys can do it yourself.

yeah, I prefer the disassembled motors, but sometimes get them assembled and have to pull them apart to oil bottom ends, check port machining, and soak base gaskets in oil

These beveled gears where exactly are they located at? I want to ensure I check mine and I probably will wash all the grease they use out and use my Lucas red and tacky to grease everything up. Rather use a known quality grease than rely on something that might be junk.

I doubt you'll have any luck cleaning old grease out - large bevel is on clutch, small bevel is on crankshaft - just a tiny dab of grease between those two and turn motor by hand to spread grease evenly around the gears

NOTE: too much, or sloppy application can get grease on clutch and make it slip

These beveled gears where exactly are they located at? I want to ensure I check mine and I probably will wash all the grease they use out and use my Lucas red and tacky to grease everything up. Rather use a known quality grease than rely on something that might be junk.
Under right side engine cover.

Back