A few questions from a new Builder...

D

Deleted member 30828

So I purchased an older used 2 stroke bike from a guy. First time ever riding one of these things, and sooo much fun 👍😁 Worked pretty good for a while, but now its having some issues.

So I decided to try to build one on my own for the first time brand new. Ordered an 80cc PK80 off Amazon. A little more work than I expected, but a good learning experience and look forward to getting this beast running.

I have not got it to run yet though, and have a few questions for you guys.....

So I installed everything a few days ago and I was getting a spark from the plug at first, and it sounded like the engine wanted to start. But I didn't try to start the bike yet because I still needed to make some more adjustments.

Well yesterday, I finished making all adjustments and tried to start the bike and...nothing. I checked the spark plug again holding it to the engine and rotating the back wheel for spark and...nothing. (it's the new spark plug that came with the kit). Also tried another spark plug on the bike and no spark. Did I somehow burn out the cdi? (it's possible I had the cut off switch wired incorrectly, not sure).

Second question: The back wheel spins freely.

With my used motor bike which I purchased from someone, I had to hold the clutch lever down to free up the back wheel. But with the new bike, I installed everything correctly (I think), yet the back wheel still moves freely regardless if I hold the lever or not.

I should mention I watched a video where the guy said with some kits you have to adjust the clutch plate because the manufacturer screws it down too tight. Such was the case with mine. So i checked and adjusted the clutch plate to make sure the gears rotate, and have proper 1/8 inch gap for the clutch plate(?) to move inside when the lever is pulled.

(Not sure if I'm using proper terminology)

So I think I did the clutch right, but the back wheel still moves freely. Should I be concerned, or will the clutch engage properly when I start the engine? Are these two things related, and possibly the reason for no spark?

Any help is appreciated 🙏

I did notice the clutch cable is very tight and hard to squeeze. Let me try this and I'll let u know. Thx

The first thing is getting the clutch lined out. The crank shaft has to turn before you get spark.

First thing first, I gotta get the clutch proper. This lever is very hard to pull for some reason (even when disconnected from the wire)...it doesn't feel right. Seems pretty straightforward, but maybe I don't have it in right...

Attachments

• IMG_20200616_200458_2.jpg
    IMG_20200616_200458_2.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_20200616_195532_2.jpg
    IMG_20200616_195532_2.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 190
Remember this cables can’t be bent . Now they can kind a curve a little . They won’t function right if sharp bends.Check that out.

Last edited:
Hello you could remove the spring between the motor and the clutch and pull the cable in with the clutch handle with vise grips and then pull the clutch handle in and the rear wheel will spin then tighten the screw on the clutch arm.

What he’s meaning is pull the wire from the clutch cable lever and thru the clutch arm tight with visegrips then tighten the screw and then pull the lever and see if that works. When trying to roll the bike forward it should not roll freely without squeezing the clutch lever.

I
What he’s meaning is pull the wire from the clutch cable lever and thru the clutch arm tight with visegrips then tighten the screw and then pull the lever and see if that works. When trying to roll the bike forward it should not roll freely without squeezing the clutch lever.

Got the wire tight, and the clutch arm moves good now, but the back wheel still rolls freely. I don't know enough about how this system works to understand what is supposed to lock the back wheel. I'm assuming I'm not going to get spark until the clutch is properly engaged.

Correct no spark until the clutch turns the crank

Last edited:
Back