A lil advice from the pros please?!?

Carl Walichnowski

Local time
5:13 AM
Ok I have a few questind fellas. I'm interested in switching over my current coaster brakingsystem to disc brakes. I'll be the first to admit my experience with either system is limited, thus the point of my plea for some input. I personally hate coaster brakes but having them on this bike didn't prevent me from picking the bike for the build, mainly because I thought switching over to disc brakes wouldn't be to difficult. Little did I know there isn't much info on the web about disabling the coaster brakes but I figured I could depend on this forum for what I need. So question #1 is how in the hell do you disable the coaster brakes?!? Secondly I'd like to know if the items I'm interested in purchasing off of eBay will be all I need or am I missing any. I have a Beach Cruiser & obviously it wasn't made to fit disc brakes but the adaptors I'm looking at should make it work...... right?? So here's the pics of the items for the disc brake kit. Any advice is appreciated!
Also I'd like to buy one of those dual brake/clutch levers, does anyone know a link or know of a site where a quality lever can be bought for a decent price? My wife is hounding me over spending on "yet another project", lol. Thanks fellas!!

Why do you want to disable the coaster? Does your coaster hub have disk brake rotor holes? If not you have to take the hub out anyway to put one in that does, which would effectively disable the coaster lol...

Maybe put caliper brakes on he rear, keep the coaster unless it bothers you, and put disks on the front.

On my first cruiser bike build, my coaster brake locked up going downhill at speed. It went for a thrilling ride I wish I had on camera. Even though I replaced the rim and brake, the coaster would still want to lock up. So I installed caliper brakes front and rear, and kept the coaster brake. On my present bike, I'm into 203mm front disc brake and 180mm rear disc. I had a 203mm disc on the rear, but the disc was just about 2mm away from the chain stay part of the frame.

On my first cruiser bike build, my coaster brake locked up going downhill at speed. It went for a thrilling ride I wish I had on camera. Even though I replaced the rim and brake, the coaster would still want to lock up. So I installed caliper brakes front and rear, and kept the coaster brake. On my present bike, I'm into 203mm front disc brake and 180mm rear disc. I had a 203mm disc on the rear, but the disc was just about 2mm away from the chain stay part of the frame.
It's odd how some people have lock ups while others do not, perhaps a specific brand? Apparently they are one of those parts that must be kept greased, did you grease it regularly? Just unclear why I see players from both sides of the table..

Carl, you have to buy a new hub to replace coaster brake for a disc brake, but there are alternative brakes.

It all depends on your rear brake mounts and your front fork brake mounts.
Chances are your bike only has a rear coaster.

Just get yourself a pair of C-brakes, they only have one mount point, where a fender would mount front a rear like this...

2_Macargi1200L.jpg

And then put both brake cables on the right with a dual-pull SickBikeParts brake handle so you don't interfere with the clutch lever.

<$50 and you have 3-brakes, only use the coaster for emergencies ;-}

Carl, you have to buy a new hub to replace coaster brake for a disc brake, but there are alternative brakes.

It all depends on your rear brake mounts and your front fork brake mounts.
Chances are your bike only has a rear coaster.

Just get yourself a pair of C-brakes, they only have one mount point, where a fender would mount front a rear like this...

2_Macargi1200L.jpg

And then put both brake cables on the right with a dual-pull SickBikeParts brake handle so you don't interfere with the clutch lever.

<$50 and you have 3-brakes, only use the coaster for emergencies ;-}
Yea, coaster is a good backup if you need it and don't rely on it normally, the calipers are a good addition at the minimum. Really not the best idea to go out without 2 brakes, one on the front and one on the rear.

You may even be OK with a 200mm+ rotor on the front and a good disk brake. If you do that, and keep the coaster, and put a caliper brake on the rear wheel with a double pull lever like kc, this can give you a very good all year round weather braking, and leaves you with a spare that is also virtually weather proof.

Being able to stop is probably the second most important aspect of these bikes (and most vehicles) right after a proper helmet.

Ok guys I appreciate all the feedback. I'm in the process of looking into all of the purchase options out there. The options are staggering, especially for an inexperienced builder. At the moment I'm fabricating a motor mount, after that on to the breaks. Thx

Back