A little lost

One thing I have learned in my travels is to always use a gussetting plate at the head tube. This will reinforce the frame so as to handle the increased stresses of motorizing a bicycle frame.
Also, rebuild your wheels with a minimum of .105" spokes for strength, I usually select the rear hub to be used, tear it down, clean it, drill out the holes for the larger diameter spokes, rebuild it, drill out the hoop I've selected, then pay way too much to have someone else custom build them into wheels (I'll learn this aspect soon enough so I'll be able to do it myself) for motorized application.
A comfortable saddle is also a must...
:)
Also, What is the story with that massive Pile o' Parts picture? I'm seing some servi-cycle stuff in there as well as a lot of other cool stuff!!!
Take it easy and most of all HAVE FUN!
Rif

uncle_punk13 said:
Also, What is the story with that massive Pile o' Parts picture?
Rif

i want that one! no, wait...that one! hehe, wutta really cool toybox, wheels, it sure beats lincoln-logs all ta h*ll :D

the pile looks cool - I want to rummage...

I hope to make another one for the wife and I obv can't use a girls bike so I'd have to rebuild her old commuter bike frame (which I stole many parts from) by getting another 'DONOR' bike. I won't have to drill through her old frome either.

Unfortunately that pile-o-cycle does not belong to me; it's from a servi cycle site. The contention on that site was that the frame is basically the least valuable part of the build and the original motor is the core of the project. The red frame I plan on cutting of the top tube and welding on a new top bar ala the Simpson builds. I will add a new gusset to fit the new geometry. I selected this frame for its rigidity and the beefy dropouts; it is really simple and strong. I found a motorcycle frame builder who is willing to do the conversion. The only hitch so far is the frame and wheel size; it may be too small for me. I may just build it anyway, it is perfect for someone. Thanks all for sharing your experience.

wheels

Last edited by a moderator:
etheric said:
One idea I have is putting a chinese built on a 20" girls step through bike, so I would love to see you put something on that one pictured above. It may look cool with engine just hanging out up there.
i thought y'all might like to see this old "western flyer" hanging in leif's shop 8)
41_MVC235F_1.jpg

i stare at this bike a lot, etheric, while thinking "i know exactly how i'd build the gas tank"...

Hi, If you chooze to use a china 80cc then vibration is the word for today. Replace all the nuts with aircraft nuts , the ones with the nylon inserts and use locktite on all the bolts including the ones holding the engine together and you'll be O-B -K-B-A --OK My bike finally got the locktite treatment and has run for two months without a problem..... T in WV. And by the way I got a little over 200 dollars in her and she'll do 35mph on the flats with a 250 lb rider and go about 75 miles on a liter of gas/oil. I'm happy as a pig in sh*t with the whole situation. I just wish winter was over. Come on SPRING!!! One of these days if you look south you might just see my ass getting smaller and smaller and smaller....T in WV

Back