a motorized bicycle? but why?

Well when my homemade electic bikes batteries went flat I had to pedal a bike which weighed 72 lbs more than the original bike home (2x 1hp hub motors + 3x 24 amp/hr batts). I now have 3 times the range and even if I run out of fuel I pedal to the nearest gas station (Blighty is only small) and put my hand in my pocket for some loose change. Nuff said.

I got mine because I knew I could beat the bus to work by a half an hour by flying by stopped traffic and walking through lights. That worked great rain or shine for a couple of months and it paid for half of itself in that time by saving me the bus fare.

I got laid off in February and I now ride to work with my wife in her car.

I only ride the sucker now for fun.

yeah, that's another thing, takes me 20 minutes by bike to get to work, when it takes me just over an hour by bus and train..... and I'm less likely to be blown up by terrorists on the bike! :D

Mine isn't actually built yet--but I wanted mine as a second means of transportation, if my car is unavailable and I need to get somewhere looking not-sweaty.

I could have bought a motorcycle, moped or scooter of course, but I can easily fit the motorized-bike into my SUV, adding to its flexibility. And the motor-bicycle has no attached costs, where either of those other three choices would have registration and insurance to pay for; I considered them but doubt I'd use even a 50-cc scooter enough to recover the monthly costs of simple ownership.

The "second vehicle" advantage is especially a matter of concern as I plan to move to a part of the US where I have no relatives nearby.
------
The motor-bicycle is something unique, not as a direct substitute for anything else I have. I have regular bicycles I ride a lot now, and the point was not to stop riding them at all. I use them to get most places nearby now, need the exercise anyway and have no problems with it--but if my car was unavailable and pedaling a bicycle wasn't attractive, I'd like to have another way to get around.
~

I've always had some kind of hobbie car or bike in my garage.Right now i've got 20 vintage bikes in my garage and wanted a Whizzer to ad to the collection but couldent afford one so I built my board track inspired bike.

Most everywhere I landed my airplane I would have to depend on others to get around, rent a car,or hire a taxi. 1980 I bought a Bumble Bee motorized bicycle and put it in the back of my plane. I had more fun riding that thing that I also bought one for my son to ride also. Those were great times.

Have had several over the years as a part time hobby and sport.

sideshowsideswipe said:
I got mine because I knew I could beat the bus to work by a half an hour by flying by stopped traffic and walking through lights. That worked great rain or shine for a couple of months and it paid for

Yeah, I know what you mean about getting around in traffic. Today, I was testing out my bros new bike and encountered a bit of an obstacle on the road. I was easily able to take to the ditch and get around it, while the numerous cars, trucks, and even a Gold Wing behind me had to wait it out.

1548_Picture_192_1.jpg

SlicerDicer said:
nice speedo where you get it?

I bought it on ebay over a year ago and I can't remember the sellers nic. He had a fair bit of the same style speedos on ebay at the time and I think I snagged this one for around 30 bucks. I don't really care for it much because the case is black plastic and looks out of place on a cruiser.....but it would look pretty sweet on the right bike. I donated it to my bros bike being it was his birthday yesterday.

Back