A Motorized bike for ultra long distance

Pushing a bike up a hill is not an option if you can barely walk 2 blocks on level ground. That's why either a shifter bike, or a small motorcycle, scooter, or factory made moped is a better idea. A 2 speed Tomos moped will climb anything. They have carried my 240 pounds and maybe 30 pounds more of stuff up some very steep hills. And they don't break down.

I'm considering riding my bike from Saint Louis, Missouri to Oceanside, California and and am thinking about using a motorized bike to make it easier I'll probably be using the motor for 3 to 5 hours at a time to make the journey go by a little faster so i need a set up thats capable.
The bike is only design for 30 minute rides if you push it you'll lose the engine before you leave the state.

Denver I would try to avoid it they had a tramp clean up of thousands anyone one with a bag.
I took a trip there, cops lock up brakes with long hard looks I got the hell out of there fast as I could not a tenth of homeless there was a few years before!

I'm considering riding my bike from Saint Louis, Missouri to Oceanside, California and and am thinking about using a motorized bike to make it easier I'll probably be using the motor for 3 to 5 hours at a time to make the journey go by a little faster so i need a set up thats capable.
Think of this for insurance to get there buy another bike fit it with a motor system buy baby training wheels tow it behind your bike instead of a trailer get bike carrier bracket fit with saddle bags navy duffle bags 2 of them including the horse bike with 2 more navy duffle bags you now have 4 they well carry anything you can think of sleeping bag, tent, clothing spare parts.

I just bought another bike yesterday for the same style of bike I was going to spend
$300.00 + dollars guy ask at a thrift store what kind of money are thinking I said oh $20.00 he said ok you got it. f***ing good deal huge adult V frame front hydrolic air shocks, factory disk brake bracket set up, 24 gears, adjustable hight handle bars, spring cushion seat bar, and so forth $20.00 f***ing bucks.

So I suggest a spare bike instead of a trailer I guess for a new bike kit $150.00 I'll till ya those long roads are really lonely get a spare bike tow it instead of a trailer. You can order in new bike parts general delivery to the next city that might be 200 miles away kiss off at the right expectation date.
Always take smoke break every 30 minutes to let engine cool and to check for loose bolts and nuts.

The OP was asking about touring on a Cannondale CAADX 105 : a lightweight cyclocross bike which has an alloy frame, drop handlebars and carbon fibre fork.
Like this one but with disc brakes:

It doesn't need an engine at all. With the engine it would be more fun and a lot faster going up hill.
But it does not need any engine.
Even if its towing a trailer.

This thread is from 2016 so I assume by now he must have either forgotten the whole idea of cycle touring with motor assistance, or he went and got eaten by cannibal hillbillies.

This is my long distance touring bike. Yeah it's not a motorized bicycle, but I don't have a lot of room for gear.

This is me kitted out for rain and below freezing temperatures in the Cape Breton Highlands. The secret is packing light.
I don't have a tent, I use an army Bivvie bag:

That's me camping on the left. No tent, no mattress, just bivvied down in the grass, snug as a bug.

Do your homework before you. Get your bike reliable. Forget your trailer and extra engine and tent. Bring only what you need.

I learned these things in the Army. Do you think soldier fight with a rucksack on? No. They live out of their pockets. For days and weeks. Do you think escaping refugees bring extra motors? No. The go with what they got and the weak die along the way. Don't be weak. Practice and learn. Take small trips, try out your gear in the back yard, try longer and longer trips on the bike. Learn and grow.

Terry in the morning after -20c in his high tech bivvie bag. The southwest US should be no problem.

I'm keeping my trailer. It stops the saltwater from my wetsuit dripping onto my beloved bike. 😉
And I'm keeping my tent. It stops people from laughing the spectacle of a fat guy struggling to put on a wetsuit inside a bivvy bag. 🥺

What I'm getting at is that the stuff you bring depends on what you want to do while your away on your bike. Some people don't want to do anything except ride from point A to point B and don't need to bring anything with them but some people want to bring a rowing boat. 🚣‍♂️
I would need my two wheeled trailer to pack my inflatable rowing boat. ☺

And I'm working on putting a second motor on my bike right now. 😂

like in my profile pic, I have light saddlebags for the heavier stuff and a back pack for snacks, water, few bucks oh and n socks, small medkit,,,
a baby trailer is kinda cool if you're into the family man look haha

Back