A Must-have Axle Tool

Freddy Snottgrass

Local time
3:38 PM
So... I am working on this gas frame bike and have stalled for a couple months due to time and this one issue... My rear axle isn't adjusted correctly. The DIY bike shop helper told me I would have to destroy my freewheel in order to adjust my nut, OR, have a really long deep-socket to get on the nut over the axle. So I was pondering about what to do and it wasn't urgent enough for me to jump right to whatever... so I deprioritized and sat on it. Here recently I am eager to get my bike running and started looking into solutions. Then I thought about the passthrough sockets. Harbor freight has a set for $22 and wouldn't ya know it, the image on the package shows them using the tool for exactly what I intended!

whyiseveryonealwayslookingatfilenames.jpg

I tried those when I was a youngster and learned that those shouldn't be used to break free nuts and bolts. I broke plenty of them :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. However, I have also had a job where I carried a 7/16 gear wrench in my pocket daily because of how often I used that specific size. No, that was a stubby wrench... trees clouding my memory again...

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back