A newbie here

nowramfg

Local time
3:59 AM
Hi, I would like to intro myself.
I am an elder gent that has a penchant for building all things mechanical.
I have a few 30's and 40's bikes, and have a desire to make a motored bike in the "old" style.
I have a son in law that is heavy into bikes, mainly older BMX in his collection, but he also works at a major 'bike mfg. co. in the design/R&D Dept.
Way back in the 50's, in my native Australia/ I put a "grasshopper" 80cc 2 stroke motor into an old 28" bike. I mounted it in the triangle, used a belt drive down to the center(crank) shaft, and then reversed the sprockets, ie, put the crank sprocket(brazed it) onto the rear hub, and welded a 12 tooth onto the crank shaft.
Worked well for about 3 rides, then ripped all the spokes out of the back wheel.....I was about 12 at the time, so I didn't care much.
I was lucky, my dad had an auto engine reconditioning shop, so I had a lot of resources at my disposal.
I saw an article about this site in "MAKE" magazine, so I figure it is time to do something....I have 9 grandsons!!!! think of all the fun hey will have.

Man did you just stumble into the right mag that day, Welcome. I am Sphynx, and my Pops ( another elder gent) is also similar to you, loves to work mech. anyway feel free to check out the builds and ideas. he is Al.Fisherman

Back