A Privateer's chance of Glory on the Boards

Hi gang, I have seen a lot of bikes here referring to "Board Track Racer" and I wanted to show you mine, which I got running today.

Mine is a true drop-loop design, used by almost all early motorcycle manufacturers after 1904, which earlier had been "Diamond frames"

I had wanted to build her up to be a full motorcycle, but, after riding this bike (yet incomplete) feeling the power of the OVH exposed BTR engine, I have decided to continue to the finish as a Racer.

NOT a "Factory Racer", but instead a "Privateers" Racer, stripped down from a factory Motorcycle, hopped up, and maybe even chopped in some way, so as to be competitive on the boards. I chose not to go with the short "baloney sliced" headpipe, as so many did, as I will be on the pavement, not on the boards. Tho, surprisingly enuf, the increased compression, and efficiency of the OHV has proved to be MUCH louder than I had thought.

The bike runs really strong, accellerates harder than my flatheads do by far.

Here she is, still in bare metal.

Mike

PS the pics won't load, I'll put them in next

Pics were too large

Here are pics of the Model 09.
Mike

Attachments

• OHVDRSM.JPG
    OHVDRSM.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 1,001
  • OHVENGRS.JPG
    OHVENGRS.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 911
  • OHV34RFS.JPG
    OHV34RFS.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 1,072
  • OHV_RSS.JPG
    OHV_RSS.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 1,715
  • OHVLTSM.JPG
    OHVLTSM.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 947
Now THAT is a motored bicycle. A thing of beauty in its entirity. . Is that a cvt primary? That frame is amazing
Haggard

mike, the 1st pic answered everything i had been lacking in our other convo about belting the drivetrain, one tensioner balanced between two seperate loops is so simple and logical it's mind-blowing.

a beauty bike. one thing i'm coming to appreciate about your creations is how the different buyers/riders personalize 'em...i look forward to seeing what they all do with this run :cool:

Falling Center Pully, old timey clutch

Hi Augi, well I don't know if it really shows, but the center dual belt sheave (pulley), is on a piviot, and the spring keeps it up, and tensioned.
A cable pulls down on the rear end of the arm, and slacks the belt set.
Adjusted properly, you get full engagement, and adequate disengagement.
The front belt, since it has the smallest pully, will act as the clutch, and in our case can be had for 4.99 at most auto-parts stores.
IF you build your own system, do yourself a favor, and figure out how to use STANDARD easily procured belts.

The engine will go Uphill from the bottom (tightens front belt only).

Slide forward on both mounts (tightens both belts about equally).

Forward and back on rear wheel, (rear belt slack and tighten).

Well I hope this explains the old system.

Mike

09 Shakedown

Hi All, well I took the 09 out today, windy, and kinda chilly at 68 degrees. Out comes the oil can, oiling the rocker bushings, oil cup, valve shafts, and cheacked the grease on the pushrods. Leather Jacket, Gloves, lil black DOT, and I'm off!

Kick her up and she roars to life! Straight pipe crackin, I pull into the main drag, and up to the Steel House, show her off, promote, and pass out cards, next to the scooter shop, well received, pass out more cards!

The the Gas Station next door, even the guy with the accent behind the counter came out for a look and a card , but hey, he got One Dollar, and Fifty from me for gas. Off to the Wholesale house for a rebuild kit for the Ki-Hin, which he does not carry.

Down the 4-lane I go, I wind her up a little, not too much as my front brake cable has slipped, and YES I have no tools with me!!!

Sooo, after I stop at a neighbor's who fixes lawn mowers and such, I'm back home drinkin beer, and talking to another neighbor, when the third neighbor comes up to the community mailbox and tells me, "you're gonna get a ticket on that thing, you speed demon!"
What, I say?
Welll he says "you know you were goin 55 don't you?" Awww come-on Don, I don't think she'll do 55, how fast did you clock me? Don turns to the new neighbor, and says, I saw this big guy on that bike, and he was doin 40, just roaring down the street.

I'm thinking "another job well done"

Here are shake-down cruise ride pics.

Mike

Attachments

• 09 shakedown left.jpg
    09 shakedown left.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 543
  • 09 shakedown Right.jpg
    09 shakedown Right.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 527
Last edited by a moderator:
Some guys do it right

Nice job Mike. Good to see a plan come together huh.

Back