a reliable build / simple

why the bikes that you recommend? why the nel lusso / mongoose
they have a sturdier frame then the granite. at least the nel lusso does. the mongoose has larger 700c/29er wheels which are skinnier ans will go faster on the smooth flat sections. the nel lusso has 36h rims (i believe the mongosse does as well, i cant remember though) both have a steel ridgit fork (better then the suspension on the granite, trust me) and the nel lusso has a springer seat which is good for long trips (20+ miles) because your a** wont hurt as much. (my bike has a super soft seat, the only thing i like about 90's mountain bikes)
also, a nel lusso is basically a huffy cranbrook with a basket, rear rack and cup holder. if you dont need any of that, then get a cranbrook.

The nel lusso has a built in rack/pannier on it too that you could mount an engine off if you wanted or use it for cargo.
That is true, but it's probably going to be more expensive (remember he's in school)
Plus imo its looks cooler with the frame mounted engine ;)

The mongoose is 700c 29ers i have two mongooses i love them really nice bikes snifter works like it should out of the box with very minor tunning of everything the only thing you need to do is ride it and stretch the brake cables out one adjustment to the cables for the brakes after you brake the cables in

Huffy Parkside or Columbia Klunker

Both available from walmart for $150, and have front and rear brakes, Klunker has front disc and front suspension fork as well
SAM_0844.JPG

Klunker

there is a prebuilt electra on sale for 180 in town nearby, wondering if that'd be good deal, and save me the hastle of building it

there is a prebuilt electra on sale for 180 in town nearby, wondering if that'd be good deal, and save me the hastle of building it
thats a pretty good deal for just the bike.
i would get it. do you have any pics of the bike?

if i can ask, why are you running duel chain tensioners?

That is not my bike, i am however building a Columbia Klunker now and am using a similar set up, i am using the frame mounted tensioner to gain clearance past the chain stay, and the motor mounted tensioner to compensate for sprockets that don't run perfectly on center

Back