A review and thoughts about my 4stroke bike

R

recumbentbill

The donor bike is a huffy cranbrook. Kit is a skyhawk stage 111 with the hausheng?[sp] 4stroke engine.I used the HD grubee rear freewheel axle kit with 56 tooth sprocket.Spokes are 12gauge. The stage 111 gear box came with a 11 tooth free wheel drive sproket which died after 30 miles. I ended up replacing the sprocket and shaft assy with the 10 tooth solid non free wheel assy. Much happier with the solid 10 tooth setup. A small reduction in speed but more torque for the hills + no pedalling from take off. Very smooth and pretty quite. I used the 50-50 gear oil and stop leak mix in the gear box[2-3oz] tried the bearing grease with mixed feelings. The gear box whines at first but does subside after awhile. The 50-50 mix works the best for subdued whine. I did away with the extra engage lever. I feel the lever and engage gear is not needed when there is a centrifical clutch. To deal with the engager I used the cable clamp that is mid way between the engager lever and gear box. I pulled the lower cable housing off . threaded the cable back through the cable clamp and up to the engager housing where I pulled the engager to engage the gears and clamped the cable then I cut the cable. I also eliminated the return springs that are inside the engager housing. Now I have a bike with just two brake levers. I finally found a front suspension shock that has a 1" steerer tube. Other shocks that I see with the proper 1" steer tube and length are usually for 24" bikes . Cruising the low life[ebay] has the shock that will work[mines on the way] The shock has a 1" steer tube with a steer tube length of 8" with the upper 4" that is threaded which will work for me.After installing I will have to cut the excess off. The Motorized cruiser bike really need a front shock..I have about 100 miles on the bike now and I'm very happy with the end result. I have had a gebe and stanton rear rack setup, a bike bug front fricton and a demesion edge rear friction drive.Several electric setups to and I have to say my present bike is my favorite. Finally I have to give a thumbs up to bird dog distributing. They made a few mistakes but have always corrected them with prompt service. Bird dogs bike tech Jeremy was very helpful and answered all of my questions.To view my build progress got to
http://motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=21652

Back