A Side Project

The_Aleman

When in doubt, there's always grinders! Steady now..

Edit: when it comes to jackshafts, I've found some advantage in going with smaller chains. Not only can you achieve ideal ratios easier, but the smaller chains work better on the small sprockets. It's pretty easy to find #35 and even #25 or smaller sprockets depending on how much of a base diameter your jackshaft is. I have a 9T #35 on a 5/8" shaft, I think an 8T is possible.

Anyway, guys have been utilizing go-kart and go-ped resources and adapting them to our things for some time, when you get down to it, there's a lot of awesome possibilities. I've spent many an hour playing with the good ol gearratio.exe that's available on this site.

Last edited:

AutOtaku

Got out today and tried to figure out the mount situation I was going to use. I've thought about just welding the bike tubes to some steel plate but then I started looking at the Chopper mounts for these engines and well, what better option than that? I could, of course, just buy one of those mounts and just put it on the minibike's frame but why would I do that if I can make one and learn something along the way? I took a piece of foam board I had lying around and mocked up a VERY ROUGH estimate of how I want the mounts to look (Keep in mind that I am NOT and engineer, I'm a game designer actually). I want the engine to sit somewhere in the middle under the gas tank and about 3-4 inches off the floor plate, so i made two small triangles that would be the standoffs for the mounts. As for the mounts, I just traced the front engine mount plate and will make those out of steel as well (I measure it up with the rear mount to make sure it clears everything back there and it does). As for anouther the dilemma, I plan to reuse the original fuel tank because I want to keep the fake chrome gas tank. The issue here is that the hole for the fuel petcock is up at the highest possible position in this tank (what a f*cking stupid place to put it), does anyone know how I could seal this off? Would RTV silicon and/or a piece of plastic stand up to gasoline? The last picture is the location I want to tap my own hole for the fuel.
Pictures of everything are below:

AutOtaku

(((Sorry for spammy updates but I've been working on this deligently)))
The weather was nice today and I didnt have to work so I decided to get somethings done. Firstly, I ground off some of the old mounts on the frame that would get in the way of my mounting system. Secondly, I cleaned out the gas tank and drilled a new hole for the fuel petcock that came off my china girl gas tank. I still have to seal up the original fuel petcock with gasket maker. Third and finally, I went ahead and mounted the throttle grip/kill switch from the china girl, I really wanted to use the chrome twist handle but its just a hair too wide for the china girl's housing.