A tank like this should cost me how much?

MotoMagz

Local time
8:54 AM
So I'm going to have some one weld me up a tank.I will supply the stainless steel and all hardware needed.I will also (TRY) to cut and drill everything.How much should I pay a good welder to do the job? Picture below is what I want.This tank is sweet..I will post the persons or persons Forum name as soon as I locate them.I think it might be from the other forum.

Attachments

• smalltank.jpg
    smalltank.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 867
  • th1279849474_tank.jpg
    th1279849474_tank.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 799
If you have everything precut ,all holes predrilled and all the person has to do is weld it for you without having to make alot of adjustments. It should only take that person about 45 to 90 minutes to weld it. The cost should be close to $90

If all you do is have flat sheet SSteel and the welder also has to fabricate this tank and then finish if ,IE: the grinding polishing part. It will take any where between 4-6 hours to make. the cost will be anywhere between 400-600$

But of course the cost is relative to whom you find to weld/fabricate this tank and what they charge, I just gave you what I would charge as a welder myself. If you have a buddy that can do it, he might do it for a case of beer ...

My I ask, Why stainless and not aluminum? Welding cost should be about the same. But the ease and weight advantage of aluminum would be my choice. That tank does look good!!!

If you have everything precut ,all holes predrilled and all the person has to do is weld it for you without having to make alot of adjustments. It should only take that person about 45 to 90 minutes to weld it. The cost should be close to $90

If all you do is have flat sheet SSteel and the welder also has to fabricate this tank and then finish if ,IE: the grinding polishing part. It will take any where between 4-6 hours to make. the cost will be anywhere between 400-600$

But of course the cost is relative to whom you find to weld/fabricate this tank and what they charge, I just gave you what I would charge as a welder myself. If you have a buddy that can do it, he might do it for a case of beer ...

Thanks Buddy...what kinda beer do you like:whistle: I'm hoping to get it all cut and drilled ... would like to spend no more than $150.So your input will help me in my bargining.

My I ask, Why stainless and not aluminum? Welding cost should be about the same. But the ease and weight advantage of aluminum would be my choice. That tank does look good!!!

Yes, a aluminum tank would weigh less and probly last just as long as stainless. For the size of the tank weight really is not a issue.I just like the look of stainless.

How will you cut that stainless sheet? Tin snips will not work, did you know? They will work for a short time, but will then go dull and the sheet will just slip between the blades. You kinda need to use a plasma cutter to cut stainless.

Also, drilling it is difficult without carbide drills and a drill press. Stainless is much tougher than chrome-steel or aluminum.

--------

I don't work with stainless just because cutting and welding it is just a pain in the rear, so I am rather biased here.

The heart wants what it wants, but aluminum or regular steel could look almost the same and either of those is much cheaper and easier to work with.

(FWIW, I don't think the weight difference between steel of either kind and aluminum will amount to much really)
~

How will you cut that stainless sheet? Tin snips will not work, did you know? They will work for a short time, but will then go dull and the sheet will just slip between the blades. You kinda need to use a plasma cutter to cut stainless.

Also, drilling it is difficult without carbide drills and a drill press. Stainless is much tougher than chrome-steel or aluminum.

--------

I don't work with stainless just because cutting and welding it is just a pain in the rear, so I am rather biased here.

The heart wants what it wants, but aluminum or regular steel could look almost the same and either of those is much cheaper and easier to work with.

(FWIW, I don't think the weight difference between steel of either kind and aluminum will amount to much really)
~

Neighbor offered his plasma cutter and I might use a angle grinder to shave what needs to be shaved.Steel would be easier to work with but I would have to coat the tank to prevent corrosion.Plus...a few nice pieces of stainless only cost me $14.00 at the scrap yard.

Neighbor offered his plasma cutter and I might use a angle grinder to shave what needs to be shaved.Steel would be easier to work with but I would have to coat the tank to prevent corrosion.Plus...a few nice pieces of stainless only cost me $14.00 at the scrap yard.
You might want to give a couple scrap pieces to the welder guy first so he can try welding them and see how it goes. All kinds of metal alloys are not weldable, particularly in thin sheet.
~

Back