A very slow build... did some work this summer

This started with a stainless gas tank my friend dropped out of his truck. I reshaped and cut off the front to fit into a frame that was left over after my son raided for parts. Welded in a rear engine mount and front mount tabs through the frame. Engine is heavily ported with windowed piston, just got the reed valve for it. I plan on monarch type springer forks for the looks with front drum brakes but would be nice to get v brakes using forks I have. the filler neck on the tank is interesting, Gas cap flips up. I plan on running cupra-nickel fuel lines. Rear wheel is 10 ga spokes... front Is 12g. I have a Dellorto 19.5 coming for it as well as a MZ65 copy expansion pipes. If anyone has a good silencer for that pipe I’m interested in making one that can slip on and off.

Last edited:
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Nice I’ve made a few mufflers in previous builds and I want to build it. Just need to flare out. score and clamp on. Then we can remove it for top speed runs.

rear engine mount detail

Last edited:
I don't have welding or sheet metal skills per say.. so that looked like a good solution for my build. My build will be utilizing a reinforced rear rack setup to carry a mount for it. A PW80 is fairly quiet.. and i want fairly quiet.

People keep wanting to buy it, it’s not done and doubt I will want to sell it. 😂

Things that take me time:
1. lot of different ideas I want to try.
2. waiting for shipment from China
3. thing I want but can’t find ( took forever for source the brass petcock)
4. Form vs function.

I would like to find a tiny brass fuel filter with glass so I can check for fuel flow. Eventually, if I can’t find it I’ll make one.

I need to decide on the front forks - springer would look nice but not sure how well they would perform at higher speed. Drum brakes look vintage but not as strong as v brakes, I would love to explore some decent triple tree suspension forks that don’t look like they belong on a MTN bike.

I also need to focus and spend some time to fabricate more things like a CDI/coil shroud but things need to come together a bit more first so I can see how much room I have.

Going slow but enjoying how it’s shaping up.

Last edited:
People keep wanting to buy it, it’s not done and doubt I will want to sell it. 😂

4. Form vs function.

I would like to find a tiny brass fuel filter with glass so I can check for fuel flow. Eventually, if I can’t find it I’ll make one.

I need to decide on the front forks - springer would look nice but not sure how well they would perform at higher speed. Drum brakes look vintage but not as strong as v brakes, I would love to explore some decent triple tree suspension forks that don’t look like they belong on a MTN bike.

I also need to focus and spend some time to fabricate more things like a CDI/coil shroud but things need to come together a bit more first so I can see how much room I have.

That's the nature of projects, myself.

It's about process, creativity, mechanical expression, as much as the ride for me.

I get a Bee in my Bonnet for a specific project - it's sketched out in my mind clearly.. it's done in fairly short order..

Other's, they take time to percolate, sometimes a reverse is in order, and a re-think... sometimes they just gotta sit on a shelf while life runs over the Project priority list.

For myself, it's Safety, Sound Setup, Style, Reliability, in roughly that order.. i don't actually think i'll be riding it all that much, LOL.

4. Form vs function.

I've never seen them in brass, but chrome yes. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chrome-G...4d299ff842b83dc5b867|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2334524

Ebay-UK ships faster than ebay.com for some odd reason.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
5/16” or 8mm line is pretty fat for our bikes... that’s the other issue. I’m sure I’ll end up making a one off.

Back