About to start my first build. What should I know ahead of time?

Cool, I see a saddle, is there a horse to go with it or are you just one of those people who keeps a random saddle in their garage (believe me you wouldn't be the first one to do that.)

Wife had a horse but sold it years ago. Saddle belongs to her late father. She is just now wanting to part with it.

Wife had a horse but sold it years ago. Saddle belongs to her late father. She is just now wanting to part with it.
Hard to let go of those kinds of things, even harder to find a buyer. Depending on how well tooled it is you might find someone, if it's got any rot forming or in need of repair you may want to end up donating it to a training facility of some sort.

Hard to let go of those kinds of things, even harder to find a buyer. Depending on how well tooled it is you might find someone, if it's got any rot forming or in need of repair you may want to end up donating it to a training facility of some sort.
Ill let her know but it's up to her.

Never use rubber mounts. You want your bike to vibrate because that's less stress on the engine and mounting hardware. Get a good seat and maybe a suspension seatpost.
Don't focus only on the engine. Bike first, motor second. Make sure all of the bearings on your bike are well greased and everything is adjusted properly.
The torque specs are for a 100% cold engine. Even a bit of warmth affects the torque specs of aluminum and can results in stripping.
Never ride with only a coaster brake. In your case, upgrading to dual pivot rim brakes is cheap and good insurance.
Never ride without a motorcycle helmet and gloves at the minimum
Never use fenders that are only held by a tab (Your fenders should be okay. Use blue loctite)
Never ignore strange sounds. Some components have natural play, learn to identify those sounds (IE: clutch plate)
Never ride aggressively. A slight tap of your wheel can result in death.

Create a strict maintenance schedule
Use a hub sprocket adapter
Take your time to break in the engine with the proper oil ratio. Don't rush things.
Torque everything to spec (while the motor is cold)
Grease the bearings
Either remove the tensioner and try to get the tension right or upgrade to the spring tensioner that connects to the case
Upgrade the gaskets
Replace the garbage chinesium screws with steel hex screws.
Replace the spark plug with an NGK and the spark wire with an automotive wire. (Very cheap and easy)
Seal the magneto area with silicone
Use blue loctite on the bevel gear screw, tighten it with a screwdriver and then drive it in with an impact screwdriver
Put a bit of grease on the gears
Liberally use loctite blue and nyloc nuts and let the loctite cure for a full 24 hours.
(optional) Install heli-coils. A little overkill and pricey, but much stronger than aluminum threads.
Use the exhaust strap that comes with the kit you bought. It will greatly reduce the stress on your exhaust mount.
Use automotive 3/16 fuel line. You can buy it in bulk from any automotive store and it will last much longer.
Wrap plastic wire loom around your fuel line. It will protect it from UV
Upgrade your connectors and use a heat sleeve to protect your wires
Clean your fuel tank before using it or buy a pack of fuel filters and replace it somewhat frequently during break in
Tune your carb for the proper fuel:air ratio. Running too lean can cause serious damage to your engine.
Vibration is the first sign of a loose motor mount no matter what your speed stop fix it.
Any jerks STOP then there cuz its most likely the chain is trying jump off the gear or another problem.

The helmet may cost you a Court case for injury if they pop this: First words on the instruction if you buy s typical bicycle helmet this helmet is not intended for motorize vehicle!
Smaller settle ment.

This helmet sucks.
It's specialized racing helmet, EBay offers it 1 visor dark or clear you need DUAL VISOR I'm trying return it shipping cost make me take a loss.

The clear glare blinds me if use dark you can't distinguish road defects.
The chin guard blinds me for upclose road hazrds also fogs up to 70% also is too small its an XL that was as high as they go I wrote company my head size they said it will do bulls**t I need XXL cuz I dread putting it on and off. Also you can't wear sunglasses. That's the specialized helments made for some other you need a general all around helmet I would suggest a dual shield no chin for putting it on and off.

Me I always carry s tool bag unless staying within a couple blocks from home, I like to roam. For first week carry at least a krisnt wrench & screwdriver like a Leatherman to tighten lose fasteners.

Attachments

• IMG_20170527_104209.jpg
    IMG_20170527_104209.jpg
    473.6 KB · Views: 179
Vibration is the first sign of a loose motor mount no matter what your speed stop fix it.
Any jerks STOP then there cuz its most likely the chain is trying jump off the gear or another problem.

The helmet may cost you a Court case for injury if they pop this: First words on the instruction if you buy s typical bicycle helmet this helmet is not intended for motorize vehicle!
Smaller settle ment.

This helmet sucks.
It's specialized racing helmet, EBay offers it 1 visor dark or clear you need DUAL VISOR I'm trying return it shipping cost make me take a loss.

The clear glare blinds me if use dark you can't distinguish road defects.
The chin guard blinds me for upclose road hazrds also fogs up to 70% also is too small its an XL that was as high as they go I wrote company my head size they said it will do bulls**t I need XXL cuz I dread putting it on and off. Also you can't wear sunglasses. That's the specialized helments made for some other you need a general all around helmet I would suggest a dual shield no chin for putting it on and off.

Me I always carry s tool bag unless staying within a couple blocks from home, I like to roam. For first week carry at least a krisnt wrench & screwdriver like a Leatherman to tighten lose fasteners.
Lol don't buy a helmet online unless you already know what size is going to fit, a good trick is seeing if you can find it at a cycle shop or similar, try on a helmet in the brand you are looking to buy and figure out what size fits, then feel free to buy it online.

Also lets to have a chance to find one that jives with your riding conditions, a race helmet generally doesn't need to show ground detail well as most race tracks are going to be maintained so that the road surface isn't going to be a concern to the rider. A street helmet is probably going to be designed a bit better for vision because that's obviously a bigger concern on open roads with real traffic.

Get a silvered type screen for the helmet, the in the middle type is great for all weather types usually. Or go motocross style, they have a visor for a good reason, so you don't need to have a dark screen in bright sun letting you see the details of an off road experience while keeping the sun out of your eyes unless it's early morning or late afternoon, but then everyone on the road suffers with that and that kinda helps make people cautious, just ride in a direction that isn't towards the sun I guess, if you go far enough and pay a few ferry fees you'll end up where you started anyway.

Back