About to start my first build. What should I know ahead of time?

Calvin

Local time
8:00 PM
Hey everyone!

I am a male highschool student and was just faced with the horrible reality of car insurance prices. After seeing the prices, I decided I needed another way to get around town.

After looking around at different motorized bike kits, I bought this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-50cc-...Kit-Motorized-Bicycle-Engine-kit/171795921295

I am using this bike:
https://www.amazon.com/Huffy-Lusso-Cruiser-PIANO-BLACK/dp/B00LMPLR68

I wanted to go with the lower 50cc so that way it would be a smoother and quieter ride. Also, I'm not too huge at ~155lb, and Florida is wildly flat. My question is, what should I know going into my first build?

What are some things you with you knew when you started your first build?
What should I never do?
How can I make my setup last for a long time?

Really, I just want to know anything that will help with the process. I like doing things one time the right way.

Sorry for the long post!

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
all you need to know is on the board - read a lot in the 2-stroke engines section about all the noobs that have had problems with first build - you'll quickly begin to see a pattern of how things go wrong when building is started before reading is done

What should I never do?
Never use rubber mounts. You want your bike to vibrate because that's less stress on the engine and mounting hardware. Get a good seat and maybe a suspension seatpost.
Don't focus only on the engine. Bike first, motor second. Make sure all of the bearings on your bike are well greased and everything is adjusted properly.
The torque specs are for a 100% cold engine. Even a bit of warmth affects the torque specs of aluminum and can results in stripping.
Never ride with only a coaster brake. In your case, upgrading to dual pivot rim brakes is cheap and good insurance.
Never ride without a motorcycle helmet and gloves at the minimum
Never use fenders that are only held by a tab (Your fenders should be okay. Use blue loctite)
Never ignore strange sounds. Some components have natural play, learn to identify those sounds (IE: clutch plate)
Never ride aggressively. A slight tap of your wheel can result in death.

Create a strict maintenance schedule
Use a hub sprocket adapter
Take your time to break in the engine with the proper oil ratio. Don't rush things.
Torque everything to spec (while the motor is cold)
Grease the bearings
Either remove the tensioner and try to get the tension right or upgrade to the spring tensioner that connects to the case
Upgrade the gaskets
Replace the garbage chinesium screws with steel hex screws.
Replace the spark plug with an NGK and the spark wire with an automotive wire. (Very cheap and easy)
Seal the magneto area with silicone
Use blue loctite on the bevel gear screw, tighten it with a screwdriver and then drive it in with an impact screwdriver
Put a bit of grease on the gears
Liberally use loctite blue and nyloc nuts and let the loctite cure for a full 24 hours.
(optional) Install heli-coils. A little overkill and pricey, but much stronger than aluminum threads.
Use the exhaust strap that comes with the kit you bought. It will greatly reduce the stress on your exhaust mount.
Use automotive 3/16 fuel line. You can buy it in bulk from any automotive store and it will last much longer.
Wrap plastic wire loom around your fuel line. It will protect it from UV
Upgrade your connectors and use a heat sleeve to protect your wires
Clean your fuel tank before using it or buy a pack of fuel filters and replace it somewhat frequently during break in
Tune your carb for the proper fuel:air ratio. Running too lean can cause serious damage to your engine.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the info motorizedbikeguy! I'll have to go through and make sure I apply this advice.

No problem. :)Keep an eye on the welds where the rack welds to the frame. Apparently that bike has a tendency to crack there.

I wanted to go with the lower 50cc so that way it would be a smoother and quieter ride. Also, I'm not too huge at ~155lb, and Florida is wildly flat. My question is, what should I know going into my first build?
Do you know Florida's laws about motorized bicycles?

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Yeah. Florida isn't a huge fan of them, but I'll limit my speed to 30mph and make sure I have a license. Don't wanna ruin the hobby by being an irresponsible driver.

One thing I can add to this, the bike…. PROBABLY no one designed it with a motor in mind. Just cheap.
After mine went flat, over and over again, I mean seriously, a thorn would make it go flat. Some flats were caused from the inside out because the spokes were not filed down and would poke right through the tube.

First thing I had to do was address the cheap tires and cheap thin spokes that came with it.
Took the rear wheel to a bike shop and had them respoke the thing with a heavier spoke. And do it right so nothing sharp inside. (The front I took apart and filed down sharp spokes myself. SInce all the weight and torque is on the rear I left the thin spokes in.)

Then I got on here and got suggestions for good tires. AND got thicker tubes and an extra band that goes between tire and tube. Have not had a single flat since. (Several years and a few worn out sets of tires later.)
I air them up once in spring and that is usually enough.

Pushing a motorized bike is NOT fun. Flats are not fun even on a normal bike. Worth the investment.

Don't hit a parked car like I almost did. This is my first build and to let you know I'm not mechanically inclined. I went for my maiden voyage and didn't know my throttle didn't work right and almost smoked a parked car. I know this was not helpful but parked cars don't move.

Hey everyone!

I am a male highschool student and was just faced with the horrible reality of car insurance prices. After seeing the prices, I decided I needed another way to get around town.

After looking around at different motorized bike kits, I bought this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-50cc-...Kit-Motorized-Bicycle-Engine-kit/171795921295

I am using this bike:
https://www.amazon.com/Huffy-Lusso-Cruiser-PIANO-BLACK/dp/B00LMPLR68

What are some things you with you knew when you started your first build?
What should I never do?

Really, I just want to know anything that will help with the process. I like doing things one time the right way.

Sorry for the long post!
This is my first build also. I can't tell you what you should never do but first don't over tighten anything. I over tightened my sprocket bolts only to find out my sprocket was backward and when I went to correct it I broke 3 and stripped the other 6. Also don't go full throttle when in break in stage, which I have not done but heard stories on here where people did.
Oh yeah never hit a tree. A guy I know, rather knew, went full throttle down hill slid on gravel and they peeled his face off the tree.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back