Accepted proof of MPH

6blueoval9

Local time
11:51 AM
What is acceptable proof in regards to claiming a mph reading by the motorized biking community?

I will never ask you for proof because it isn't a bloody race. Lol. :p
I think you could make a video where something like standardised road "furniture" distances appear in the view. Like lamp posts that we can count how many you pass in a minute or something like that. Someone would have to know what the standard distance between the lamp posts is, of course.
Try to find a road that goes slightly downhill but not visibly downhill. ;) Haha
Or provide the location and we can check it out on Goggle maps terrain view to see it's level. o_O
Idk.. accept that no one really cares as long as you're having fun safely. :)

I was thinking along the lines of a an acceptable gps app for a cell phone maybe? or a small garmin gps? although a bit more expensiveo_O

Video at 1:36 although that sign is a little off (2 mph to my gps, sign said 36 gps 38) compared to other signs nearby. Most people exaggerate their speed, just human nature I guess.

Video Link

I was thinking along the lines of a an acceptable gps app for a cell phone maybe? or a small garmin gps? although a bit more expensiveo_O
There are some bicycle computers that are pretty accurate when calibrated properly and yes there are alot of apps using the gps on your phone they work well,as for video it seems to me that onboard footage doesn't look fast even when it really is,fixed camera position coming at and past the fixed location with no pivoting the cam as the bike passes shows the best perseption of speed as it zips out of the shot.

This app is rated as one of the top 5 for 2017..if an app with proper video is acceptable i might give this app a shot. Even shows altitude.
speedometer-gps.jpg

Be be absolutely fair there will never be a standard amongst the community when held mostly online, it's too easy for any John doe to tell his computer he is using 27.5 inch wheels when he's using 26, a GPS is accurate in the open air enough that I get readings from it that match my speedometer in my truck +/-2mph, but as mentioned going down a hill is probably going to skew a reading a bit.

I would say that both a computer and a GPS app, if used and information presented is done in good faith, is good enough, if you want 100% accurate results go to a racetrack or get a friendly cop/whatever person with a radar on a cold day and get some results.

Back