Across America on a Motor Bicycle- 1903

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are welcome, and really it's no problem. The world needs to read and know about George A. Wyman! His journey was really something else; it was, and continues to be, an inspiration to me. I just want the man to get the recognition so long overdue to him for his journey and adventurous spirit...

And I am thinking about doing a round trip of almost 8500 miles. I must be certifiable!

But it makes you think.

The Wyman Yale-California bike is a single cylinder machine with leather belt drive and a 1 and 1/4 hp motor. It by all accounts would have been fitted with a surface type carburettor. By the information I have found it was a 90cc engine

My GEBE is a single cylinder machine with rubber/kevlar belt drive and, as standard, a 1 2/3rds hp 32cc motor. This isnt really an entirely fair comparison as the Y/C was a 4 stroke and the GEBE is a two stroke.

However the Y/C engine must have been fairly efficient since its power output is impressive for the displacement and the time. I have a suspicion that the fuel needed to run the surface type carburettor may have been alot more like modern nitro fuels than straight petrol/petroil mixtures. It would have had to have a specific gravity of .680 (whatever that is).

The Auto-Bi as mentioned seems to have had, from the information I have found a 442cc single cylinder engine - mounted to the front down tube by means of clamps and the usual leather belt drive. In some accounts it seems that Wyman was leant a Thomas car to potter around in while his bike was fueled/oiled and fixed up - but you dont tend to use the term 'riding' in respect to a car.

So - lessons learned. I think when I go on the ride I will be carrying mount spares and as many spokes as I can carry - along with the usual such as tubes etc - it may also be worth carrying spare stems for both bikes and spare handlebars... other than that we'll have to see. Both the bikes will have to be pulling trailers methinks

Jemma xx

Jemma - I have thought about this story many times after I read his account. I had the opportunity to ride a 1910 Pierce Arrow. I have a better understanding of what an early bike would be like. One thing is the lack of throttle it does very little, they use the spark the most. And his brakes that was just extra friction not a brake. went over the bars for those brakes. I think it is admirable to go on a long trip with a machine that would put you more in touch with your surroundings, the slower pace will give you a respect for the early modes of transport. I am thinking that you wont need an extra pair of bars though, unless you plan to have a go at the rail ties. Have fun, keep us posted, Dave

PS: I think your small, equal HP engine will far outdo the millage per gallon. I would use the Kevlar tires and tuffy tubes, with green slime. If you look at the method used to hold the drive rim they stay away from attaching to the spokes.

Well what can I add? One more vote for a great read. Thanks for posting this.

Heh, must say since I've read this the visual of "crystalized" metal has popped into my head a few times.

And I am thinking about doing a round trip of almost 8500 miles. I must be certifiable!

That will take extensive legal research. We have a real mess with our MB laws. Every state has its own set of laws for us.

So Rif,think you could make this an"every 10 years" event---say 2013.That might give the folkes here time to get ready---sam

And I am thinking about doing a round trip of almost 8500 miles...

My GEBE is a single cylinder machine with rubber/kevlar belt drive and, as standard, a 1 2/3rds hp 32cc motor. This isnt really an entirely fair comparison as the Y/C was a 4 stroke and the GEBE is a two stroke.
Soo Jemma... I'm most curious. What's your plan for mixing gas along the trip? From what I gather, 2-strokes prolly would be better than 4-strokes for a cross-country trip... but how will you [pre-] measure oil along the trip. Seems like you're gonna need at least 2 gallons of oil. Will you just buy along the way and then keep a 1 or 2 gallon can for a couple/few hundred miles??

I can't wait to hear how this works out. When are you leaving? And what's on your current checklist of items to bring along??

So Rif,think you could make this an"every 10 years" event---say 2013.That might give the folkes here time to get ready---sam

LOL!!! Maybe... But this time I'll use a later frame (with gussets), and an NE-5 engine! Maybe we can get the tank right this next time too...:LOL:
Next june, if my engine is ready and where I want it to be, I'll be running the Whizzer in a coast to coast race.
"I've got a long way to go and a short time to get there..."

With the engine set as it is, I am making about 130mpg or so.

As regards the laws so far as I can tell everyone ignores them anyways and my machine is only a 32cc so most cops wouldnt have a clue to its performance. It regularly surprises 50cc mopeds around my town. The little girl staring open mouthed out the side of her parents SUV last evening was cute though, must have been all of 7 years old - and she was obviously confused how someone on a bicycle was keeping up with 2 tons of oil-burner.
I also got a comment from some guy pushing what seemed like (it was almost dusk) some sort of mini-bike thing (probably a 50cc) which I assume was complimentary.

Regards the Oil issue. I am hoping to be able to get some decent sponsorship from oil companies. Some do small pre-measured bottles of oil which I was planning to put in one of the trailers - since both machine will be two strokers we would just use as required. 1 bottle per gallon for 50:1 and two for 25:1. I made some calculations at one point and it would take something like 46 gallons of petrol the whole trip per bike.

When I make up my machine for the run though I will be using a banana seat on sissy bars at the back mounted to a suspension seatpost. The 'wide-butt' I have on the bike at the moment is too far forward for my liking and two wide for me if I sit in a good position. Julee's will need to be a trike probably with another identical 32cc GEBE with pipe. In this case front mounted.

Jemma xx

Jemma My buddy and I were supposed to finish a ride we started in 1968 on Honda S90's to Alaska, one of us fell down and broke his arm. Our kids found out about the story and wanted us to finish the ride. We were supposed to do it this year and that would have been 40 years later. We got the bikes and started putting everything together, then our almost 60 year old bodies found out what we were planning and found ways to deep us from the attempt.(Serious health issues) I wonder if it will ever happen now. Our trekkie kids came up with some novel ideas. We were suppose to broadcast the whole trip from a handlebar cam, I don't know how the kids were going to do it but they said it was easy. Honda was interested, and we had some sponsors worked up. But what I am getting at is, it would sure be fun if you could figure out what the kids were going to do so we could log on to your ride. Keep us posted. Have fun, Dave

PS: It is 2600 mi to Alaska from Hermosa beach ca. we never knew that part in 68. OH, I was going to tell you I got some blister packs of two smoke oil a few years ago, you just break off the end and it is a perfect mix of 50:1, Ill see if I can find one to get the manufacture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back