Action alert! TLE clone engines for $99 at Harbor Freight

Throttle cable instalation is as simple as any other, however, you will have to get another cable. The one that comes on that engine is way to short. I have a friction drive kit from bikemotorparts.com The cable that came with the kit works fine. You can get the cables from BMP or you might be able to get one locally. If you order from BMP, I recommend that you also get the the cable adjusted as well.

Last edited:
Thanks PC.
I already have everything I need (including clutch) sans the engine. It will be to replace a Subaru motor on a rack mount setup. It was on a Staton F/D. I'm just hoping it has a bit more power so I can keep up with the other guys on our next get together.
NUTZ

My HF 50cc engine will out perform my Honda GX35 (35cc) big time ! Let me know what you think between your HF vs. Subaru ! Good luck !

Over 60 Bikes And 40+ Motors. I Need A Young Lady Helper To Get My Motor Running! That Hf Water Pump Motor (52cc 2 Stroke?) Should Put You In Front At The Next Group Ride. Your Current Bike Is So Awsum, Are You Going To Put The Motor On It?? It Has A Warrenty Also?? Went To Sheet Metal Shop This Am, Had A Bunch Of Pieces Sheared For Future Builds. Received Tracking Number Today, The Titan Storm Kit Will Be Here The 25th. I Feel Guilty, You Should Have That Motor. Later All, Ron

My HF 50cc engine will out perform my Honda GX35 (35cc) big time ! Let me know what you think between your HF vs. Subaru ! Good luck !

PC,
That IS good news! I'm goin' for it. Will report back here when I'm done.

Treewk, As far as helpers go, Don't look at me with lust in your eyes
LOL, Yeah, I'm gonna try it on the WayBack; can always switch back. If it works as well as I hope, I may eventually try and frame mount it. Also, I think I'm gonna pay for the extended warranty as well. Just in case something goes fubar, I want a new motor. . .cheap insurance. Then again, there's always the complete parts package they've got for it. . .only $100! Less w/coupon. :giggle:
NUTZ

BTW - that engine is undoubtedly a clone of the TL engine, and not the TLE. The E in TLE stands for Emissions, as in reduced emissions. (it has the advanced stratification in the carb/engine design, where the first shot of charge into the combustion chamber is almost pure air, with no fuel in it. This means that the portion of the charge which 'short-circuits' the combustion chamber has little to no unburnt fuel in it...) The sure way to tell if it's the TLE is the carb. If the carb has one port, it's a clone of the TL. If it has two ports, one stacked atop the other, it's a clone of the TLE. (one port carries only air, one carries the fuel-air mix) The pic below is of a genuine TLE carb.

Attachments

• PICT0305a.jpg
    PICT0305a.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 629
The current series of Mitsubishi two strokes are either the TB or TLE. Prior to the TB (and TLE,) the TL series was sold. This was (visually) virtually identical to the TLE, but it didn't have the new 'two-barrel' carb or the stratified scavenging emissions reduction design.

Update

"BIG TIME" is an understatement! I just finished my install yesterday and was riding into the nighttime hours. What a blast!
Coupled to the CVT, this engine really lets the CVT get down to it. The bike accelerates like crazy; don't know the top speed as my speedometer fell off 2 weeks ago and haven't replaced it yet, but easily doing 30+. Was on a 30MPH road last night and was coming up behind a car just before I had to turn. Up hills near my home, it kept pulling strong where the Robin would start to lose it and slow down below 20MPH.

The EHO35 clutch practically fell into place on this motor.
Had to do some re-tuning of the CVT weights and got the thing cruising at 6200RPM. At one point with the lighter variator weights, it revved over 6800 before I backed off of it. And that was with me on the bike at speed, not unloaded with the wheel off the ground! Started easily; primed the bulb, choked, and 3rd pull came to life. Warm engine starts were all 1 pull!

On sale and with 20% off coupon, $80. I did get the 1 yr X-warranty for another $12. So with tax, right back up near $100.

Thanks Porkchop for your input in this.
The Subaru is a great little engine, but I don't get where people claim this huge torque and such with 4 strokes over the 2 stroke. The EHO35 will find new life on my wife's bike as a friction drive again.

Great value; great power/speed; easy installation. Hope it holds up.
NUTZ

Attachments

• 52ccFin 006.JPG
    52ccFin 006.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 631
  • 52ccFin 007.JPG
    52ccFin 007.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 730
  • 52ccFin 009.JPG
    52ccFin 009.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,436
  • 52ccFin 010.JPG
    52ccFin 010.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 783
  • 52ccFin 011.JPG
    52ccFin 011.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 663
  • EngineMount.JPG
    EngineMount.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 618
Glad I was able to help ! Again, I was by no means knocking the little Honda. I'm sure it is a very good engine. I just like the larger, more powerful Harbor Freight engine. The smaller 35cc engines are probably O.K. for those with a combined weight (rider and bike) of 150 lbs. there about. I had my Honda for sale but have decided to keep it for a future uild. I could live with it if I had to, but the ?HF engine is much better suited. I've also heard Harbor Freight has discontinued the pump. That'll be the pits for anyone wanting to get that engine cheap. Did you paint the blue cover rewd ? for what it's worth there are several vendors that sell that cover chrome plated for about $30.00.
Anyway, glad I could help, lucky you and I hope you continue to like your engine !

Back