Action alert! TLE clone engines for $99 at Harbor Freight

Glad I was able to help ! Again, I was by no means knocking the little Honda. I'm sure it is a very good engine. I just like the larger, more powerful Harbor Freight engine. The smaller 35cc engines are probably O.K. for those with a combined weight (rider and bike) of 150 lbs. there about. I had my Honda for sale but have decided to keep it for a future uild. I could live with it if I had to, but the ?HF engine is much better suited. I've also heard Harbor Freight has discontinued the pump. That'll be the pits for anyone wanting to get that engine cheap. Did you paint the blue cover rewd ? for what it's worth there are several vendors that sell that cover chrome plated for about $30.00.
Anyway, glad I could help, lucky you and I hope you continue to like your engine !

I agree, the EHO35 was/is good and used to get me to 27mph, but it lacked the umph this one has.
Funny you should mention discontinuance of the pump. 2nd time I heard that. However the flyer I got when I went to buy the pump advertised it as "NEW". So lets hope they continue it.
Yeah, the cover became Wayback Burgandy to match the bike just like my Robin did.
And by the way for anyone interested, the motor is mfg'd. by Huasheng. So if it's anything like their other stuff, it should be OK.
OH! And something else. I found nothing in the literature about plug specs. So I pulled it before starting this thing. The gap from the factory is .028 and the plug takes a 3/4" wrench to remove. Just in case any of the above is of interest to anyone.
Thanks again PC
WC

I just looked at Harbor Freight's site and did not find a listing for the pump anymore. I did see at least 3 of them on the shelf at my local store last week though. Kind of makes me want to go buy one for a back up before they get gone. I still have the auger part of my first engine. I could always use another engine for that. I know I'll use that auger sooner or later. My Honda engine will work but I don't want to use it on the auger.
Where did you get the clutch for your engine ? Harbor Freight's parts prices and shipping is way cheap compared to most vendors, but they're extremely slow on shipping Usually 6-8 weeks for things not in stock in their U.S. warehouse.
I also just looked at the owner's manual for their gasoline powered auger and found no spec for the plug gap as well.

Last edited:
"BIG TIME" is an understatement! I just finished my install yesterday and was riding into the nighttime hours. What a blast!
Coupled to the CVT, this engine really lets the CVT get down to it. The bike accelerates like crazy; don't know the top speed as my speedometer fell off 2 weeks ago and haven't replaced it yet, but easily doing 30+. Was on a 30MPH road last night and was coming up behind a car just before I had to turn. Up hills near my home, it kept pulling strong where the Robin would start to lose it and slow down below 20MPH.

The EHO35 clutch practically fell into place on this motor.
Had to do some re-tuning of the CVT weights and got the thing cruising at 6200RPM. At one point with the lighter variator weights, it revved over 6800 before I backed off of it. And that was with me on the bike at speed, not unloaded with the wheel off the ground! Started easily; primed the bulb, choked, and 3rd pull came to life. Warm engine starts were all 1 pull!

On sale and with 20% off coupon, $80. I did get the 1 yr X-warranty for another $12. So with tax, right back up near $100.

Thanks Porkchop for your input in this.
The Subaru is a great little engine, but I don't get where people claim this huge torque and such with 4 strokes over the 2 stroke. The EHO35 will find new life on my wife's bike as a friction drive again.

Great value; great power/speed; easy installation. Hope it holds up.
NUTZ

One half of a horse power makes a HUGE difference on these small engines. Post a photo of your whole bike. I'd like to see the rest of it. I'd also like to hear more about the CVT you're using. I'm thinking my next build is going to be a frame mount 50cc or rear mount chain drive like you have. Send PM if you don't mind. I don't remember whose post this is. I don't want to get out of line and off topic here.
Thanks ! ............"PC"

Last edited:
I just looked at Harbor Freight's site and did not find a listing for the pump anymore. I did see at least 3 of them on the shelf at my local store last week though. Kind of makes me want to go buy one for a back up before they get gone. I still have the auger part of my first engine. I could always use another engine for that. I know I'll use that auger sooner or later. My Honda engine will work but I don't want to use it on the auger.
Where did you get the clutch for your engine ? Harbor Freight's parts prices and shipping is way cheap compared to most vendors, but they're extremely slow on shipping Usually 6-8 weeks for things not in stock in their U.S. warehouse.
I also just looked at the owner's manual for their gasoline powered auger and found no spec for the plug gap as well.

Fear not, they do exist.
As was told to me on a different thread about this engine, look on harborfreightUSA. It is there but harborfreight.com lists it as MIA.
LINK >>>>http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa...o?itemid=66585&CategoryName=&SubCategoryName=

I used the clutch from my Subaru EHO35 . . . perfect fit. Since I still want to use that engine on a friction drive for my wife I'll be ordering the clutch from HF. Shipping time won't be a problem since she wont ride 'till probably next spring.
NUTZ

Separate the engine from the waterpump

I'm so glad I stumbled upon this post and hope you can help me out. I found this thread by typing in google search: "Harbor Freight 66585"

It is the item number of the engine/water pump I bought. I got the whole water pump and engine for $40.00 at harbor freight, the water pump intake port was broke so I talked the manager down to $40.00. It retailed for $99.99 However I'm unable to separate it from the impeller/water pump case/ shaft. How do I separate?

I read that it does not have a clutch. I have an extra 76mm clutch from my Honda gx31 engine. Will it fit this engine?

Thanks, I hope to get my ride going soon.

Here are picts of the engine, and where I'm stuck at. I took the 4 bolts off of where I would think the 76mm clutch would go, but the housings just spin, and will not separate after taking 4 bolts out.

Thanks for any help you can give, Hoping on using this engine to replace the Honda gx31 that I ripped the engine casing in half with the Staton box, SBP freewheel cranks mounting inside the frame.

Thanks for any help,

Attachments

• DSC03781.jpg
    DSC03781.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 572
  • DSC03782.jpg
    DSC03782.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 517
  • DSC03784.jpg
    DSC03784.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 503
  • DSC03791.jpg
    DSC03791.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 589
  • DSC03798.jpg
    DSC03798.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 523
bonefish

PM NUTTSY = POST 34. HE HAS BEN RUNING THAT ENGINE SINCE LAST FALL, AND HE LOVE`S IT.

ALSO DN LOAD THE WATER PUMP MANUAL, THAT MAY GIVE YOU A DIAGRAM. YOUR ON THE RIGHT TRACK NOW.. GOOD LUCK, RON

I'm so glad I stumbled upon this post and hope you can help me out. I found this thread by typing in google search: "Harbor Freight 66585"

It is the item number of the engine/water pump I bought. I got the whole water pump and engine for $40.00 at harbor freight, the water pump intake port was broke so I talked the manager down to $40.00. It retailed for $99.99 However I'm unable to separate it from the impeller/water pump case/ shaft. How do I separate?

I read that it does not have a clutch. I have an extra 76mm clutch from my Honda gx31 engine. Will it fit this engine?

Thanks, I hope to get my ride going soon.

Here are picts of the engine, and where I'm stuck at. I took the 4 bolts off of where I would think the 76mm clutch would go, but the housings just spin, and will not separate after taking 4 bolts out.

Thanks for any help you can give, Hoping on using this engine to replace the Honda gx31 that I ripped the engine casing in half with the Staton box, SBP freewheel cranks mounting inside the frame.

Thanks for any help,

PM me ! I've had that engine and it's easy to take apart. You have 2 more bolts to take out before you'll get the impellar off. I think I have a thread on this forum explaining how to do it. I'm pretty sure I have photos as well. PM me with a phoine number if you'ld like and I'll talk you through it. won't be able to get back to you until late tomorrow afternoon or early evening. Standard 78mm, 2 shoe clutch should work. You'll also need to get the required bolts and washers as well. Cheap from Harbor Freight, but shipping is like 8 weeks. $40.00 ? You dog ! Some people have all the luck. Good strong engine.

Thanks for the help, I figured it out last night on my own after I signed off on the computer, before any replies came thru. I ended up taking off the recoil pull starter and found a nut. I put a rachet on it, and then stuck a screwdriver in the impeller and all be ****ed the impeller was screwed on, and I screwed it off. Got it off, and now am at the stage of finding a clutch to fit it. When I got the Staton gearbox with a Honda gx31 engine attached to it from a guy that had it mounted to a go cart, he thru in an extra brand new clutch, and I brought it with me to North Carolina. The Honda gx31 engine though is broken in Florida.

Anyhow, I was looking at Nuttys post about how he mounted a Robin Subaru eh035 clutch to his HF water pump motor, and I think this extra Honda gx31 clutch i have will bolt up as well. I just got to find the two bolts and two washers.

I went into a Honda small engine repair shop this morning, and they didn't have the clutch bolts/washers in stock, but could get them to me in about 3 or 4 days! That is better than Harbor Freight 6-8 weeks, but the trade off was I think he quoted me $6.00 for 2 bolts and 2 washers.

I'm tooling around town today, stoping into other small engine shops to find out if someone has these in stock where I can try and get them today, and so I don't have to order them and wait.

Thanks again for your help,

I plan on mounting this engine inside the frame, hooked up to a Staton RH 6.9 :1 gearbox, that runs down to a set of SBP freewheel cranks.

If I get it rolling I'll post some picts in this thread if it is O.K with the curator?

Thanks again,

Bone,

The Clutch Bolts With S/h On "ebay Motors" Will Cost More Than $6.

Yes Post Pic`s. That Is A Cool Build. Maybe Bolt A Metal Plate To Your Current Mount So You Can Use 4 Bolts To Attach Motor. Then You Should Be Living Large!! Ron

Good that you got it figurted out. Don't feel bad though. It's pretty simple. I've helped several people get them seperated and they all told me how stupid they feel after they found out how simple it was ! Wish I could find one for $40.00 ! I have one mounted on a friction drive from BMP. Don't know how long it's going to last, but so far, no problems and has plenty of power. ?Beats the heck out of my Honda GX35 at power and top speed. I hardly ever pedal my bike.

Back