Engine Trouble Added fuel, no start! :(

C

Chopper

Rode the Urban Guerilla to work this morning stopping off halfway to top up the tank.

Previously when filling the Chopper I added the oil AFTER filling with fuel and overflowed the tank, so, learning from my mistakes I added the oil first, then topped up with fuel.

Problem (I think) is I left the fuel tap on... could the oil have caused the motor to not want to run? It started fine at the servo and idled nicely while I put my gloves etc back on, but less than a minute later while rolling downhill it cut out and won't start again!

I've pulled the plug and it looks pretty dry and brown, but the clip is set on the third slot down.

Anybody have any ideas what's up?

If you didn't shut the petcock, it is possible you got straight oil to your carb.

Two ways to fix if this is the issue:

1. Drain carb float bowl...some bikes have a small screw at bottom of float to drain the bowl.

2. Remove carb and flush.

Thannks mate, went ahead and pulled the float bowl off and drained and cleaned it.... will see if that works (will try it shortly) I'm at work so have minimal tools and wouldn't really want to pull the carb off if I can help it.

Never

Never mix oil with gas in the tank. Mix fuel and oil in a gas can with proper ratio, typically 6.4 ounces per gallon, then pour into tank. In an emergency, you can mix oil with gas in your tank by filling half way, pouring in oil, then finish fueling. But.. Shy away from doing this. Enjoy the ride..

I mix oil in tank all of the time. I usually add the gas first and then put the oil in. All is done with petcock off. A little shaking of bike blends it nicely.

Back