Additions: windscreen and mudguards/ fenders

Timbone

Local time
10:46 AM
Please note the new additions: a smallwindscreen that really does help when my eyes start watering at high speed and my mudguards/ fenders.

Windscreen was made from clear plexiglass,3/8' all thread rod.this nylon washers, a bit of rubber and split ring hangers.

The mudguard/ fenders are from thick vinyl wall base and attached with zip ties. That's a small piece of 1/4" all thread rod extending the fender out over the rear wheel.

Simple and cheap. My first attempt at a fender was a a fail: too heavy. This should keep my butt dry when the roads get wet! wind.jpgmud1.jpgmud2.jpg

The wind screen is a great idea, My eyeballs get cold from the winter wind.

Yes, it is small but functional. Probably should have made it a bit taller. That's a horrible feeling when the eyes start watering - tearing up really. I can duck down under the screen and get instant relief.

I was very concerned about vibration. That's intolerable. I used slices of heater hose as an interface between the split ring hangers and the handlebars. It worked!

Good job, T-Bone! I thought about something similar, now you have motivated me. I get a lot of cold wind whipping in off the Kansas plains, so I know all about watery eyes! The cold weather is on its way, this will be a good indoor project.

Some things to consider:

Use some cardboard cutouts to get an idea of how big you want the windscreen to be and where and how you want it to sit.

I got curvature by doing two things: 1) I used a curved metal strip on the bottom of the windscreen that the two rods go through. 2) I used thick nylon washers,one on each side of the windscreen that have been severely ground unevenly to enhance the curvature around and back.

For looks, it is probably best to use 3/8" rods that have threading only on the ends and maybe even you could use some kind of plastic/ vinyl covering for a more professional look. Also, you may prefer to use a nut on the exterior that has a finished look.

The reason my windscreen is so small is because I have a very stretched out build and, very often, I pedal out of the saddle and it places my head above the windscreen. Could have made it a bit larger.

One more thing: the split ring hangers really will need some kind of tough rubber between the clamp and the handlebars.

However you decide to do this, make your plan carefully because, once it is threadlocked down, changing things will be difficult.

=Timbone=

Wind shield

Another way to get a nice curve is to use a heat gun and long clamps that reach from side to side . With a nice curve you wont have to use a metal support just rubber washers and it looks real nice smokie

Back