Adelaide-New legislation coming? /POLICE pulled me over today.

new legislation

hi all
havent heard of any new rules coming in
police station up here has listing of do's and dont's on its wall all about the bikes that you can have up to 50cc and 1200watts of power but are ok with the bikes having engines as long as they stop properly and stitck to the bike tracks
they maybe just trying scare tacticks to get them off the road, who knows
nickk

For those motored bikers living in South Australia this is the latest I have been able to source out in terms of government requirements regarding power assisted bikes. Check out www.transport.sa.gov.au and search under power assisted bicycles. Hope this helps answer a few questions that I have previously struggled with, to get a straight answer.Cheers

it's good for us as we ride those THINGS !!!

i recently sold my bike becuase it was attracting way too much attention and i suffered severe parranoia....i now have a motorcycle instead as i don't want to deal with the police pulling me over on a motorised bicycle

the riding of motor bikes is suppose to releive that paranoia condition THING
at least in most riders this is usually the case
a two wheeled ride on anyTING is always good for the mind, soul and body
you are on a motor cycle now -- it's a good THING
recommended from up high on the mountain top for you and others

prescription required -- always to have two wheeled THING available to ride

it's good for us as we ride those THINGS !!!

Australia - headed for prohibition

G'day Jase
I've been following this issue very closely in Australia.

Australian Bicycle Council is recommending maximum 300 watts on bicyclesm, up from 200 watts (yeah - right!)

The problem is that there is no Australian design standard for a motorized bike over 200 watts, except for a moped, which is a light motor scooter, which is heavy etc.

Therefore the bikes are likely to become unregistrable.

I believe regulations are headed in the wrong direction. check out my website www.hybriped.com.

Cheers, Greg

There's not much happening in SA at the moment so the bike rego thing comes up on the agenda. When the next big scandal happens they'll have to divert all their attention to that and it will be forgotten about.
In the meantime I do think that the yobbos need to be dealt with before they wreck all our enjoyment and maybe they need to paid a visit by a few dozen good biking vigilantes and made an offer that they can't understand. The baseball bats should only be used on the yobbos bikes not on their person.

All this alarmist talk about registration/legislation etc has died down so i'm not worried.Business as usual,so if your thinking about starting a build(or even a business) go ahead...............everything's a gamble.

Prohibition or regulation

Unfortunately, think that is the choice.

The Australian Bicycle Council have gone to so much trouble to advocate squeezing up the power-assisted bicycle limit to 300 watts, that I can't see the current situation (bikes up to 2 kW) continuing indefinitely.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, think that is the choice.

The Australian Bicycle Council have gone to so much trouble to advocate squeezing up the power-assisted bicycle limit to 300 watts, that I can't see the current situation (bikes up to 2 kW) continuing indefinitely.

I posted this file on Regulatory Reform somewhere else on MBc but it's an Australian advisory committee's report on the current legislation governiing powered bikes and it is pretty good. Before long we will probably see a lot of its recommemdations adopted and although the power limit will increase the one I don't like is the 30 km\hr max speed recommendation because it is just too darn slow and it would finish my little bike building business. I'm hoping that new regulations in the US will finally kill off the single coaster brake cruisers and see them replaced with something more sensible. The US market drives the entire world it seems when it comes to cruiser bikes.
The report list the laws in other countries as well for comparison purposes.

Attachments

• Regulatory Reform.pdf
    283.9 KB · Views: 344
Hi All,
Yeah , I was pulled over today on my Sting Ray (Cudmore Tce Henley Beach)
(they thought it was a pit-bike from behind
G'day jase: Its good to see you guys using and enjoying your bikes responsibly.

I think that its about time that the benefits of MBs are communicated to the public so that they are not sqeezed off the scene without a fight.
I spoke to Warren Bates at Zbox a few weeks ago and he was reluctanct to make any waves about the issue. However I have had discussions with NSW Roads and Traffic Authority which has carried out a review of power-assisted devices, the results of which have been discussed with the Australian Bicycle Council as recently as November in Hobart. Whatever, the ABC resolved to do has not been posted on the Australian Bicycle Council webpage.

I would like to get an Australia-wide interest group together to see what can be done. It would be great if your group could support it.

Cheers, Greg

Back