Adjustable Friction Drive - Need your opinion

CoconutFriction

Local time
7:40 AM
Hi, I built an adjustable rack that fits any bike from my 7 year olds, to my wifes and to my full size Trek Navigator. The goal is to offer various mounts on this rack. I currently have an 81cc 4-cycle, but am in the completion stages of a 49cc and an electic drive. All three engines/motors use the same rack and friction drive system. Since the pressure of the drive is fully adustable or even can be locked in above the tire, it works great. Even though the system uses a centrifugal clutch and can be used as a bike without effect, having it not touch the tire eliminates excess noise created by the clutch free spinning without the engine running. The rack system uses the saddle and rear axle quick connects for mounting so the whole thing can be removed in a few minutes. The engine uses a unique mounting frame that is easily adjustable in all directions for easy set up. Your thoughts would be great. By the way, this set up has been flawless, works incredible. Got a plate just in case.

Attachments

• Bike1_1.jpg
    Bike1_1.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 243
  • Bike 2_1.jpg
    Bike 2_1.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 199
  • Bikenvy Rack.jpg
    Bikenvy Rack.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_4680_1.JPG
    IMG_4680_1.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 190
  • Bike 3_1.jpg
    Bike 3_1.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 206
  • bike 4_1.jpg
    bike 4_1.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 203
  • bike 5_1.jpg
    bike 5_1.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
I'm intrigued by the set-up. I responded in the galley post.

A close-up on the the roller assembly would be cool.

Did you make the adjustable rack mount yourself?

I notice what looks to be clam shell left side drive sprocket in one pic, what's up with that?

Last edited:
Now that is clever!

I love the idea of having the roller wheel towards the back and under the rack so it can be easily adjusted on the bike.

Curious about the 81cc engine - what sort of performance do you get out of it?

it looks like fun to ride :)

Have you found the NACC buzzing site yet?

Jemma xx

Engine Performance

The engine is great. I had a smaller sprocket on the friction drive wheel at first and it went like 50mph with bad low end tourque. I changed the sprocket and now it takes right off and cruises at 30 mph. The set up works great, couldn't be happier.

The engine is great. I had a smaller sprocket on the friction drive wheel at first and it went like 50mph with bad low end tourque. I changed the sprocket and now it takes right off and cruises at 30 mph. The set up works great, couldn't be happier.

Did you make the adjustable rack, or did you buy it somewhere?

I sell the racks for 69 or the whole system complete for 349, I have racks ready for paint, and a few engines in stock, so it would take just a few days to ship.

Ok. If you're planning on selling them there will be questions.

How does the system adjust on the fly?

Do I need wrenches to disengage the roller?

What's the kit weigh, with motor, as set-up in the pics?

What's the roller assembly look like close up?

Last edited:
Back