Adjusting Drive Sprocket

Colonel__Klink

Local time
11:09 AM
Hey folks!

I had an issue recently where my chain would bounce on the drive sprocket (the one attached to the engine case, not the wheel) form into a little v elbo and promply jam the whole engine as the elbo wedges against one of the screw mount holes. So what do I do? I cut the chain a little shorter by one link, it's really tight now with a very small amount taken up by the spring loaded, engine mounted tensioner.

Here's the issue. As the chain is drawn along I hear a "kachunka chunk" as the chain is drawn onto the teeth of the sprocket. I realize what the issue really was, the chain doesn't quite fit on the native sprocket. The sound is the sprocket teeth being forced ungratefully into the chain. I remember someone telling me on here that the native sprockets on these engines tend not to actually fit a 415 chain. They mentioned that they had reshaped the teeth to fit.

So I got a question about that. Whose done this procedure? (it's been like 7 months since I last talked on here! Sorry I don't remember who mentioned it!) How should I adjust the sprocket? is it that the sprocket teeth need to be slightly more pointy to fit? Or should the "blade" be thinner?

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys are willing to share!

I filled my "blade thinner" and run single speed bike chain. Much better.
That includes the wheel sprocket as well right? It's kinda funny thinking on it bc I always was surprised at needing a 415 heavy duty chain for a bike engine that puts out so little torque.

On a few of my builds.. I had to file down the teeth on the small sprocket because they were too long for the 415 chain

That includes the wheel sprocket as well right? It's kinda funny thinking on it bc I always was surprised at needing a 415 heavy duty chain for a bike engine that puts out so little torque.
My back sprocket fit perfect, just had to thin the front one on mine.

A 410 chain is a much better fit on the rear sprocket. Therefore switch out the 415 engine sprocket to a 410 sprocket. Then you can use a KMC 410 chain.

Back