adjusting lifter clearance

R

ren

Hi all, haven't posted for awhile, been here almost everyday though, been finishing my new garage. I purchased a modified head, copper head gasket and mushroom lifters from Quenton earlyer this year and i'm almost ready to install them. My question is can anyone provide a step by step guide on how to adjust the lifter clearance on an 07 NE5. I know what the clearances need to be for my upgrades, I would just like a detailed how to. Did a search and came up empty.

Thanks

See ya

Randy

I need help with adjusters to. I was talking to a man named lee on the phone about fixing my motobikes but i lost his number.Do you know his number? He told me about this group is he a member?

George

Hi Ren & George,

I can help you with the information you need. George I am "Lee". My given name is "Quenton" but "Lee" is my nickname.

So here goes, lifters can be installed 2 different ways, first they can be installed from the top, but requires removing the cylinder. The second way is from the bottom, and is much easier, and is the way I always make the change. Remove the side cover [be very careful if working on the WC-1 motor, because the phillips screws are difficult to remove without damage], remove the camshaft, remove the compression cover [lifter cover], loosen the adjustment bolts & nuts. Place a rag under the lifters inside the motor to "catch" the lifters, remove the adjustment bolts & washers, allow the lifters to drop into the rag. Insert the "mushroom" lifters from the bottom, screw the adjustment bolts into the lifters, install the camshaft [one tooth advanced], install the side cover. Be sure to rotate motor to TDC before adjusting the lifters, simply rotate motor until both lifters open then close, turn motor just a little more to make sure you are closer to TDC. I adjust the liffters as follows.... .006" intake, .008" exhaust, however the factory settings are .009" if using the NE camshaft, and .012" if using the WC-1 camshaft. Install the compression cover [be sure to have a #2217 gasket before the upgrade, because it almost always tears].

Hope this information helps, If you need more just ask.

Whizzer OuterBanks LTD
A North Carolina Corporation
Quenton "Lee" Guenther
252-475-0406 cell
quincy163@yahoo.com

So rotate motor until both lifters are closed and then rotate a little more, then adjust both lifters from that position without rotating the motor anymore?

thanks
see ya

Hi Ren,

That is correct, first one lifter will lift, then the other will lift, then they both lower. Turn the flywheel forward just a few inches to make sure both lifters are at the lowest point. Set lifters, replace cover, and ride your Whizzer.

Have fun,
Whizzer OuterBanks LTD
A North Carolina Corporation
Quenton "Lee" Guenther

Back