advice for 21 speed mountain bike set up

sweetlou82

Local time
11:05 AM
i have a cannondale 21 speed mountain bike .. bought a honda gxh50 engine

i'm going to be riding it in traffic moving about 45 mph .. i need to be able to maintain close to that speed with good reliability in all weather conditions

i'm thinking a multi gear chain drive setup would be best to get up to speed and maintain my speed when going up a slight grade or in poor weather

is there any way to mount a multi speed chain drive onto an already multi speed mountain bike? .. can anyone point me in the right direction?

i'm new to this .. don't know really know what i'm doing yet

Hate to break your bubble.....Bicycles (except very expensive bikes as in racing) are NOT made to go (traffic moving about 45 mph = death trap) 45MPH....buy a motorcycle or scooter.

the purpose of the build is because i can no longer afford to commute to and from work with my car .. i couldn't pay for my insurance .. and can't afford the cost of gas anymore .. no busses to take either

need a way to get there with less gas and a vehicle that doesn't need insurance .. road speed limits are 35 that i'll be traveling on .. but traffic moves closer to 45

i know it's not the safest thing .. but i'm not sure what else to do

i'm not sure what else to do

Begin by listening to what A.F said, it's just not practical nor sane. MABs, motor assisted bicycles, are not a substitute for a motorcycle. Some would like to believe they are for obvious reasons: a low ball cost entry into two wheeled motorsport and a way to skirt the regulations and requirements other classes of legitimate motor vehicles have to meet. Believe me, if that becomes pervasive this whole MAB thing will become strangled with legal consequences very quickly.

Think LSV, low speed vehicle, try to re-think the routes needed to travel and you might need to plan more time for it, that's just the trade-off for the other benefits gained. It's doable, friends of mine commute 30 to 40 miles round trip on pedal bicycles.

45 miles an hour on a pushbike in any road conditions (quite possibly using rim brakes) with negligible safety gear - sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I ride a Kymco People S 200 scooter. It has a 163cc air cooled engine and CVT transmission, it cruises easily at 45 mph and gets 70 mpg. Stock 50cc scooters would be too slow for your use. Motor bikes are high risk at 45 mph, and most can't go that fast anyway.

Back