Advice needed for challenging daily commuting.

Mmm, yeah I don't have much to say on the technical side of grade and ° on those hills, other than if those hold the records they clearly haven't been to my side of the world.

These are all roads, even cars struggle to keep 2nd gear and are luck to make it half way up in 3rd if they got enough speed before hitting these hills.

The point I'm trying to make is, she ran ok up most of them with the bigger 52 tooth sprocket and I only needed to pedal assist up some of them to keep her at or above 25km/h. Now not so much, I'm peddling up smaller hills to keep the speed up, and on the larger hills she looses to much speed and stall out while I'm trying to keep going at like 3km/h😂

Frogslayer mentioned the jetting. That sounds like it could have caused it and a easy fix, the problem is that she will still be clogged up, so guess I need to replace rings and exhaust as well.
Any one know of anything I can use to try clean out the exhaust?

And what else could affect compression? The cylinder housing and and piston seem fine, I see no scuffing or scratching on either. I did have alot of issues with the clutch slipping but have managed to sort that out by adjusting the spring on the clutch shaft, after replacing the bucking bar, ball etc.

I'm not sure where your side of the world is? I live in Tennessee and around the steepest paved hills I know of here is some driveways that reach a 40% grade which is 18°. Here in the mountains we do have some paved streets that reach a 30% grade which is 13.5°. A 45° hill is a 100% grade. Degrees to gradient is: D° x 20/9; gradient to degrees is G% × 9/20.

Here's a video on some of the steepest streets in the world.

It isn't my intention to be insulting but rather teach you how to accurately describe slopes. There are several inexpensive inclinometers one could put on their bikes. You can also get bicycle computers with them on it and there's apps you can down load onto your cellphone.

Last edited:
Nice, yes some seem pretty steep there.I did Google roads where I live and the top in the world, noticed some changes there and some outdated information. I was going going to take some photos and video of the trip I do but it's been raining heavily all day.

When I get a chance in dryer weather I'll take the shots using the Clinometer app, I'm sure the hills here are good contenders for those in the video. They might not be as long but they very steep and make some of those in the video seem like small climbs.

But hey wait for the proof I might just have an eyesight problem 😜

Nice, yes some seem pretty steep there.I did Google roads where I live and the top in the world, noticed some changes there and some outdated information. I was going going to take some photos and video of the trip I do but it's been raining heavily all day.

When I get a chance in dryer weather I'll take the shots using the Clinometer app, I'm sure the hills here are good contenders for those in the video. They might not be as long but they very steep and make some of those in the video seem like small climbs.

But hey wait for the proof I might just have an eyesight problem 😜

Unfortunately when filming it's often hard to tell how steep a hill may be. I've got videos of climbing 30% grade hills. One of the steepest paved street hills I've ever been on is on Key Springs road in Oak Ridge Tennessee. Of course the super steep part is only about 3 car lengths long lol. There's very sharp curves in the roads as well. Back in the 40's during the Manhattan Project Key Springs road was designed so that a tank couldn't use it which is the reason for the short but super steep inclines and super sharp curves.

One incline is so steep you could literally flip your bike backwards if you didn't lay on the handlebars. However the over all grade of Key Springs is probably under a 20% grade.

I hate meters and feet mixing. I wish the world went to a standard for distance, temps and weights. Meters and celsius and grams makes more sense, it's all easier for simpler folks to figure out. It's all divisible by 10. American measures seems like it tries to be hard, lots of americans have problems with it.
We as Americans can't have a standard because it leaves no room for debate.

R.3169c151417a52abafa6f993e10d3b05

Back