advice needed re motor for Electric Chopper bicycle

ajillfisch

Local time
1:23 AM
My friend in Colombia has bought an Electric Chopper bicycle that needs a motor. As I am going there next month he's asked me to buy one and bring it to him. However as I've tried to research it I am overwhelmed by the vast amount of information, not to mention differing opinions.
First of all, is this something that can be carried in a suitcase? And if so, what motor would be the best at the low end of cost? He wanted electric but I'm not sure that is possible.
Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You need a picture of his e-chopper to determine that.
It may have a hub motor in the wheel. In that case, a hub motor wheel would pretty much take up one entire suitcase.
You also need to know the specs on his motor; volts and watts.
Most common motor is 36v500w.
He may be able to determine voltage by the number of batteries needed to operate it.
2 batteries is usually 24 volts. 12v per battery. 3 batteries is 36v. 4 batteries is 48v, and so on.

Thank you, he did send me a picture. Should I post it? As to the specs, I'm not sure he even knows...he did say he could also use an 80 cc motor.

This is the bike.

Yes. Post the picture, please.

IMG_20140512_140847.jpg

Hmmm. Looks like the electrics are removed, but there is a nice engine bracket installed. It would be easier if we knew there was a chain sprocket on the non-pedal chain side of the rear wheel. To use that nice bracket, you would need a motor, throttle, sensor brake levers, compatible controller, etc.
-If all those parts are indeed needed, you would do better to buy a complete kit, to make sure all components work together.
It would be tough to find a fat hub motor wheel for the rear. so I would consider a full mid-drive kit.
A mid drive kit would require him to remove that nice big chain guard, but it is easier than finding a hub motor wheel for the rear.
Can he get 12v 10ah batteries in Columbia? They are heavy and expensive to ship.
Here are some links to mid drive kit vendors:
http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=26
http://www.gngebike.com/middrivekit.htm

Thanks so much. Could he use a gas motor? Those seem cheaper. From what you sent me it seems it would be at least $400 for an electric one?

A gas motor could work if it has a gear reduction box attached. A lot of the two stroke go-ped and pocket-rocket engines have a small gear reduction box.
We still don't know if his back wheel has a chain sprocket on the left side (as you sit on the bike).

Actually if I could. Ask one more question - a shop in Colombia did recommend a gas motor. So if I assume the conditions you mentioned are present, could you recommend one or would it still be too hard to carry?
Thanks again!

Back