Advice on my 36 tooth sprocket [ speed vs torque ]

W

WIZARDOFOZONE

Well, this arrived a while back from Dacs and I pick it up, put it down, and stare at my 40 toother which is a really nice balance between speed and torque. What I need is input from those who installed it . How many of your favorite hills do you now avoid with your 36 toother installed ? I really like the idea of speed at lower engine revs , it just seems to me that over time this has got to be cumulatively better for the engine. On the other hand, a lot of my ability to leave my local area and get out farther with the bike is dependent on a few hills that can't be avoided if I want to get to the countryside areas.

Buy 2 wheels or a cordless drill for quick changes.

I like the speed I get rom my 36t. I can get 32mph out of my 48cc round head. Luckily there are too many unmanagable hills where I live. If I lived in a hilly area I think I would rather upgrade to a bigger engine rather than a bigger sprocket.

Dan

HI,

For what it's worth, I have 2 bikes one... with the standard 44 T (love the acceleration but top speed and buzziness of the engine is kinda bad), and I have a trek 7000 with a 70 CC and the 36T (Great top end and cruise on relatively flat ground but we do have a few hills around here that makes the engine downright struggle and get hot).....I am going having a custom 40T sprocket made in the hopes that it would be the best of the single gear world....Of course the real solution is a Tranny for our engines! ;-O

Andrew

there's been quite a bit of discussion about sprocket sizes already, and should be easy to find using the Search.

I, and azKronic and many others used 36t for the Death Race. that's straight up Mt. Lemmon. Big mountain. 24miles. no problems.

you should be happy w/36t imho
Happy :mrgreen:

spunout said:
there's been quite a bit of discussion about sprocket sizes already, and should be easy to find using the Search.

I, and azKronic and many others used 36t for the Death Race. that's straight up Mt. Lemmon. Big mountain. 24miles. no problems.

you should be happy w/36t imho
Happy :mrgreen:
just a small correction, azvinnie uses a 36, I went up the mountain using a 48 ( my chopper was a very heavy bike )
I am using a 44 with the haro, but pull my granddaughters in a trailer with it no problem

Andyinchville, why special made ?

Thats what I'm thinking about replacing , my 40 tooth ... why specially made ? I ordered parts from so many people I can't remember where, but I got my 40 tooth online ... just search 40 tooth sprocket ... I got mine in fact from a guy who took the call from his car !

Hmmmm.....Can't say I ever say a 40T sprocket made for our bikes....I did hear of a 42T unit tho....Anyways....I didn't realize 40 T was out there, so I had a friend of mine that owns a machine shop make me one out of
7075 T6 heat treated aluminum.....Super light weight (faster accel tho I'm sure the pound or so savings would hardly be noticeable), durable, and rust proof to boot....looks nice too with the raw silver satin finish....For what it's worth, he is going to be marketing sprockets for our bikes....I think he can make any size for us from 18 teeth all the way to 101 teeth or thereabouts....If any interest just PM me and I will put you in contact with him.

Andrew

andrew...i'd feel better if you'd simply post a "buy/sell/trade" about your custom sprockets...it allows you to avoid the appearance of "billboarding" :)

I have a 40 toother (to be correct, it's azvinnie's)
bought it from livefast
it does not have a concave (just a flat sprocket)...not using it yet because am worried about warping

i got a 40 tooth with my bike engine and i cruise around 20-25mph on a hill at a 30-40 degree angle with my 70cc.

jon

Back