Is the speed limit still 35 - 45 HWY and 50 on the FRWY?
I remember Scooters getting creamed all the time. I guess some things never change.
But its usually the Scooters fault Zipping along the right hand shoulder and a car turns right in front of them. Smart you are, gotta take all the road.
Here in CA. I was going 45 on a 65mph HWY and a semi truck passed me going about 75 it blew off the road. Good thing I was out in the SO CAL desert cause I didn,t hit anything or wreck The suction of the truck pulled me into it and rather than fight the urge to be pulled under the truck I just swerved off the road. Live and learn I now only go on 65mph HWYs with a break down lane to ride in.

35 mph on a 2-lane highway Windward side thru Kahuku, then 2 miles of 45mph, then back to 35mph. Then 45mph up that monstrous 3-mile hill from Haleiwa to the Helemano pineapple tourist shops.
25-35mph thru Waianae, 35mph to Sandy Beach.
Yeah, mostly 25mph towns, 35 highway, 55 freeway, 60 for a few miles from Waipahu-Kapolei and a few miles on the H3 freeway.
Not many bike lanes.
Big trucks can travel any freeway lane.
Crazy Mopedders still getting seriously injured or killed a few times monthly.

Cross country would be a trip of a lifetime.
Kaena Point use to be my spot for Spearfishing. Roads kinda rough but not too bad around the point from Wailua to Makaha when I was there. I've Been away from Hawaii for 15 years I had no Idea the road washed out.
It's probably pretty dangerous riding Kam HWY. No bike lane But I guess if ya can get up to 40 - 45 mph ya can just go with the flow of traffic
M/B riding in Hawaii sounds like fun. I didn't have a M/B when I was in Hawaii. I rode M/C and it seemed like I never could get out of 3rd gear :ROFLMAO:
You must've been an awesome diver😄.
Swift winds and currents. Loads of tiger sharks. Several peole have drowned or disappeared over the years, from Kaena Point towards the West side.

You must've been an awesome diver😄.
Swift winds and currents. Loads of tiger sharks. Several peole have drowned or disappeared over the years, from Kaena Point towards the West side.

I got a couple thousand scuba dives in Hawaii. I lived on Oahu for 25 years 17 to 42 yr old Gotta respect the Ocean
Been washed off the rocks at Keana Pt. on a rough day only to be swept along the coast for about 1 mile.
I didn't panic and try to swim to shore right away, besides it was all reef cliff face anyways I just let the current take me. I was wondering if I was on the Molokai express. A kinda bay came along and gave me the chance to swim to shore.
Diving Keana Pt was always on a flat calm day

Another time on a beach dive from Turtle bay We thought we were diving along the beach with a swift current But when we came up we were a few miles out to sea. Turtle Bay Hotel looked about the size of a match book Only took about 3 hours to swim back in We almost dumped our tanks that day. I had just bought my tank and I was not going to dump it. This was one of my first dives as a rookie. I learned a lot that day :ROFLMAO:

Sharks? they got plenty to eat. I've never seen any Tigers But when a big 14 ft gray swims by it sure gets your attention.
The Sharks that I didn't like were the Galapagos Sharks Kind like a bull shark. They would keep coming back getting closer and closer every time until ya had to poke um in the nose with your spear gun. They always messed up a dive cause I was so busy keeping an eye on the shark I didn't have time to hunt 🦈 We usually saw those sharks at Waikiki Horseshoe canyon where the tourist submarines dive the wrecks. When The sharks would come around I would go inside the wrecks. Its kinda crazy we used to hang on the subs and look in the windows at the tourist. More than one time us divers were a show for the tourist subs while we were spearing fish.

I could talk about Hawaii all day but I think this thread is about "Affordable Speed" I Ride a Whizzer 4 stroke 138cc So Affordable speed came with the bike. I just had to work all the bugs out do some modifying and parts upgrade to make the bike reliable. That was the biggest thing to me was reliability. Now 15 years later she has over 38,000 miles on her. She is always ready for a 100 mile ride.
Is a Whizzer Motorbike Affordable Speed? NO. I bought the bike for $1,500 in 2005 then I put another $1,500 into it over the years.
I have a small warehouse of NOS parts in my garage. My Whizzer is a keeper. I'll be riding that to church when I'm 90 yr old :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
The car really spoils that picture.
View attachment 96987

Thats not saying that I can't do a 10/36... or 40...

I better try that with the drop down bars before I add some Gnarly Wide @zz Ape Hanger Off Road Mountains Bars with Bush Whackers...

Lol

Slow up hill,,, darn fast coming down threw the trees... Ha

Treeeeeeeeeee !!!

Don Crash
Probably around a 720mm straightish. Like 5° sweep and no rise. Imho. But it has potential for twisty sometimes unpaved little private lanes.

I got a couple thousand scuba dives in Hawaii. I lived on Oahu for 25 years 17 to 42 yr old Gotta respect the Ocean
Been washed off the rocks at Keana Pt. on a rough day only to be swept along the coast for about 1 mile.
I didn't panic and try to swim to shore right away, besides it was all reef cliff face anyways I just let the current take me. I was wondering if I was on the Molokai express. A kinda bay came along and gave me the chance to swim to shore.
Diving Keana Pt was always on a flat calm day

Another time on a beach dive from Turtle bay We thought we were diving along the beach with a swift current But when we came up we were a few miles out to sea. Turtle Bay Hotel looked about the size of a match book Only took about 3 hours to swim back in We almost dumped our tanks that day. I had just bought my tank and I was not going to dump it. This was one of my first dives as a rookie. I learned a lot that day :ROFLMAO:

Sharks? they got plenty to eat. I've never seen any Tigers But when a big 14 ft gray swims by it sure gets your attention.
The Sharks that I didn't like were the Galapagos Sharks Kind like a bull shark. They would keep coming back getting closer and closer every time until ya had to poke um in the nose with your spear gun. They always messed up a dive cause I was so busy keeping an eye on the shark I didn't have time to hunt 🦈 We usually saw those sharks at Waikiki Horseshoe canyon where the tourist submarines dive the wrecks. When The sharks would come around I would go inside the wrecks. Its kinda crazy we used to hang on the subs and look in the windows at the tourist. More than one time us divers were a show for the tourist subs while we were spearing fish.

I could talk about Hawaii all day but I think this thread is about "Affordable Speed" I Ride a Whizzer 4 stroke 138cc So Affordable speed came with the bike. I just had to work all the bugs out do some modifying and parts upgrade to make the bike reliable. That was the biggest thing to me was reliability. Now 15 years later she has over 38,000 miles on her. She is always ready for a 100 mile ride.
Is a Whizzer Motorbike Affordable Speed? NO. I bought the bike for $1,500 in 2005 then I put another $1,500 into it over the years.
I have a small warehouse of NOS parts in my garage. My Whizzer is a keeper. I'll be riding that to church when I'm 90 yr old :ROFLMAO:
I really enjoyed you sharing your Hawaiian adventure!

No, it's about 50-55 highway, and 65-80 interstate.
Very fast. Indiana/Illinois.

A lot of people have mentioned how unsafe a $100 huffy would be going a stunning 50mph would be. I got a curious question now. Would anyone here consider said bike to be safe at 20mph? 30mph?

40-50 mph is average speed for my motorized bicycle
But I'm a Daredevil :devilish: 🚴‍♂️ :ROFLMAO:

That bike is just gorgeous. The belt drive actually looks so much nicer on it than the typical chain drive! And how many CC is the engine btw? It definitely does not look like the cheap stuff I've been looking at buying! :ROFLMAO:

Admitted where I live if I don't get a motorcycle license I'm stuck with 50cc or less.

Baloney! 40-50 is not the typical speed for a
motorized bicycles. More like 30-35 mph is tops.
You don't know what you're talking about. With that
much speed and power 3hp, it's no longer consider
a motorized bicycle and needs to be licensed as a
moped, or motor driven cycle.

Now I'm pretty new to this but hear me out. Instead of just trying to brute force your way to 50mph with a 3hp engine you could y'know use a jack shaft kit on a bike with a quality derailer and gear system? It seems to me that the torque of the engine is your primary limitation not the HP/KW. So you use gear ratios to not exceed the torque you can put out and slowly walk that bike up to 50mph :).

Lol, funny thing is that I learned about those kits not even trying to figure out how to reach 50mph (my goal is 30 but happy if I can consistently go 20.) It's that my dream build is a fat tire bike and the more I looked into it the more I learned that getting a stock 2 stroke 49cc to get around that fat tire to reach the wheel hub was a total nightmare. The most reasonable option someone proposed was finding a frame just big enough to fit a jackshaft kit without hitting the tire and tie into the existing bike gearing system, which is a plus because you can have a rear disk brake!

That bike is just gorgeous. The belt drive actually looks so much nicer on it than the typical chain drive! And how many CC is the engine btw? It definitely does not look like the cheap stuff I've been looking at buying! :ROFLMAO:

Admitted where I live if I don't get a motorcycle license I'm stuck with 50cc or less.
I ride a 2005 NE-5 Whizzer Motorbike 138cc 4 stroke Flathead

Putting good wheels & brakes with a good front end suspension Will make that $100 Wallmart bike a winner (y)

Last edited:
Back