Engine Trouble After a fall

Deeman69

Local time
10:05 AM
My bike fell over the other night on the back patio when the wind (strong one) got under the cover and tipped it over. Now it's not running right. Sputters, chugs and even backfires. I'm wondering how robust the sparkplug and the CDI are? Could a simple tip over fall have damaged them? What have ya'lls experience been like in this case? Thanks!

I was all over it like white on rice looking for just that kind of thing. Nothing found.

I use a propane torch, unlit, and spray it around the engine, not the mouth of the carb though. Checking gaskets for leaks. Any change in rpms tells me there is a leak. This method finds even the tiniest leak, leaves no residue or water on the engine, and will not hurt it in any way. Leaves all stickers intact too.

If you don't have a propane torch, you can use a single use water bottle, pop a hole in the cap with you pocket knife. Then feed a bit of fuel line in it. Then place a small amount of gas in the bottle. Replace the cap with the fuel line of a few feet hanging out. Shake it well. Then puff a few times till gas vapors come out instead of the air in the fuel line. Use that as a puffer, same thing as propane, and rpm change. Downside is it only puffs, where a propane torch is constant.

I've got a butane torch with some gas still in it. I'll try that in the morning and see what happens. Thanks Karl!

My bike fell over the other night on the back patio when the wind (strong one) got under the cover and tipped it over. Now it's not running right. Sputters, chugs and even backfires. I'm wondering how robust the sparkplug and the CDI are? Could a simple tip over fall have damaged them? What have ya'lls experience been like in this case? Thanks!
Only time my bike fell over it snapped the brake lever off.
It didn't cause any hard starting issues, but it sure was hard to stop :LOL:

I park my bike in the garage too. It fell over because I hit it with my M/C :oops:

Back