After nearly being run over 3 times in the last week, I decided to get loud with a set of cheapo Harbor Freight chrome car horns.

extremeodd

Local time
2:37 AM
I had been thinking about setting up a basic horn for quite some time now but it wasn't much of a priority until the last couple of weeks. Not sure what's going on with people, maybe the heat is getting to them but I've been damn near run over 3 times by people suddenly turning right. Clutching in and revving doesn't get their attention so I got the next best thing.

No not a scooter horn, not a motorcycle horn, not even a car horn but rather, TWO car horns. All for the low price of $9.99 at Harbor Freight + $30 for a 12V 7ah SLA battery, cargo rack, and 12g silicone wire.

The wiring and battery placement is temporary until I get some new hardware for my cargo rack (don't buy the $12 amazon special. It's one size fits none.).
The battery has a base of thermoelastic plastic which is perfectly shaped to the upper tube and stays in place when combined with 5 large zip ties. Once the rack gets mounted it will be relocated. I also need to fold the horn brackets backward some to try and tuck them in closer to the frame, it just looks ridiculous sticking out like that.

Initially, I had my doubts about how loud this could possibly be, I mean the horns are chrome for god's sake. All of my fears were startled away the first time I tapped the horn, this thing is damn loud for only $10! Unsurprisingly, it sounds exactly like a car horn.
Between this and the centrifugal clutch coming late next week, riding should become far less of a chore.

Apologies for the crap pictures, the rear camera on my pixel 3 went out and until the replacement comes in I'm stuck with the front camera. Also, I swear the bike looks less ghetto in person.

Attachments

• IMG_20190721_221732.jpg
    IMG_20190721_221732.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_20190721_221745.jpg
    IMG_20190721_221745.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_20190721_224133.jpg
    IMG_20190721_224133.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_20190721_224137.jpg
    IMG_20190721_224137.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 239
  • MVIMG_20190721_224147.jpg
    MVIMG_20190721_224147.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
They have made cars so sound proof these days they have too put sounds of a car engine inside the interior. Basically homes on wheels lol

Yeah, also with the electric cars. They have to produce artificial sound.

I'd say get a train horn.

The only thing stopping me from throwing a train horn on is the raw amount of space it requires. These horns, despite being fairly chunky, managed to find the only spot on the bike that doesn't have something going on.

I'll probably eventually replace them with a Stebel Nautilus if these prove to not be loud enough.

To be honest they look very good there. I have a horn as well, but it needs air, food, and water to function ;)

Mike this horn is loud, you don't want to be near a walker and blow it, they'll jump 3ft into the air it's so loud. Blow it about 30ft away to warn them. 9v batt lasts along time.
https://www.amazon.com/Worksman-Cyc...JU/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584001418794703&psc=1

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I don't know how loud these are, I just know how loud car horns generally are, and if you're sitting inside a car, trust me, they won't be loud enough. Especially if it's a newer car. We have a Suzuki SX4 S-Cross, wich is basically a crossover. It's a 2018 model. The padding inside the car is so thick, you can't hear the engine from the inside, only over 1500 RPM. And most of the time, car horns are quite loud, even ambulances are hard to hear sometimes, only if they are close. And if it's a peasant, they may be blasting their radio on full volume, then there's no way they will hear anything. The train horn was a joke to lukesky's comment about car cabins being quiet from the padding.

Those horns actually look like they are supposed to be there. No matter how loud they are they can't be loud enough. It amazes me how people get a license when they can't drive. The scared nervous drivers are the worst. I'm all for mandatory road tests everytime you have to renew your license and actually grade their driving and not just pass them cause they paid the fee. The other option is to install missle launchers on the bike to eliminate those people that don't look in their mirrors or blind spots and turn right in front of you. Lol

Haha! Missile launchers, that's a great idea.

The drivers I hate the most that go very slow, like they are scared, and someone pulls up to the road they start braking even though they don't have to stop.. or just hear something and then brake.. Or just brake because they can brake..

Here in Europe, especially Hungary, it's kinda hard to pass a driving license test. I said especially in Hungary, because they punish you if you do one thing wrong. My friend forgot to do 1 of the checks from the 6 point check or whatever when he was starting from a 1 way road. Then the other mistake he made is that he had to do a 3 point turn and they had to do it in a very tight dead-end street, and he didn't do the checks after stopping each time.. He almost failed.
There were times (5-6 years ago) when you had to bribe the driving instructiors to let you pass.. Money is everything

Back