After the build - Keeping the bike sound and safe

junglepig

Local time
1:04 PM
As a MB noob, I want to know what parts of my bike I need to really watch for stress failures that is sort of MB specific.
I've read about stress fractures happening on seat posts, and near motor mounts. I've read about wheel bearings going out.
I do a pre-ride check to be sure everything is in place and tight, and that my chain tension is good, but I might miss the beginnings of a stress fracture on the frame.
And I pulled, cleaned, inpected, and packed my wheel bearings as part of my build.

So, from those of you with lots of experience with bikes that were not designed for use with a motor, where should I pay the most attention to if I want to avoid a crash caused by a mechanical failure of the normal bicycle frame and components?
What do I need to be able to recognize to catch problems early?

I welcome any thoughts you wish to share that might keep me upright.

Quick release axles, checkem before every ride to make sure they're not loose. Brake pads b4 every ride to make sure they haven't moved on ya, centered on the rim surface. Steering quill bolt is tight and handle bar bracket bolts. Those 3 areas are the most important to me from experience of stuff coming loose on me. Almost ate it one day when my handle bars came loose on me from the quill bolt coming loose. Brake pads can tilt or move up to rub on a tire and wear the sidewall out quick. Always look for cracks in the frame near welded joints, you never know.

Wiggle the wheel once in a while and look at the skewer make sure there is no play there biggest dangers i had was a keyway coming loose inside the gearbox and locking between the gears and locking the rear wheel up and always inspect the chain tension er i put atleast 50lbs of torque or tighten them as much as a can bear to handle on them with good quality bolts not the ones they come with the kit they just snap or strip off i really make shure that the chain tentioner never comes loose and fly into the spokes ( i kick test it with my shoe to see if it would move if it does its not tight en off)

Last edited:
Just keep an eye out for any new vibration. If something suddenly starts vibrating, it's a good indication that something failed, or is about to. As you ride you'll figure out what's normal, and anything over that is something to investigate. Your hands, feet and butt can tell you more than your eyes sometimes.

Just keep an eye out for any new vibration. If something suddenly starts vibrating, it's a good indication that something failed, or is about to. As you ride you'll figure out what's normal, and anything over that is something to investigate. Your hands, feet and butt can tell you more than your eyes sometimes.

Good point. I think I'm very sensitive to anything changing over a short time period. I'd be stopped and off the bike investigating in a heartbeat if something felt different! I'm glad you said that though. It sets my mind a little more at ease.

I’ve actually never heard of it the rods seem to be forged/cast iron and usually the needle bearing and main bearings go first then the cylinders start to wear. But idk maybe on some of the race motors. I had my kickstand bracket break off just from leaning the bike looks like it was barely welded. I’ll probably have a piece of 1/8 inch steel welded to replace it .

it was 28F outside today had too leave it on 3/4 choke for a 30 seconds to get it to run but i think i am done for the season on riding

Glad I've moved back to Georgia after living in Minnesota for the last 20 years. While I'm still more sensitive to cold than many Minnesotans, it definitely makes these cool "near freezing" temps that we generally have here in the winter seem mild. I'll be riding all year now that I can again!

Back