(agent orange special) What could possibly go wrong?

well the little 29cc bike is being retired. it is a sad day.

BUT, dont fear, my projects always come back better.

in this case, i have an almost brand new 5 hp briggs. it has less than an hour of use, and looks factory, no dents not even any dirt packed in the fins, it just happens, that it will fit in the frame of the old 5 speed bike. now i know what you all want to know, and that is, it it gonna have gears? that is a definate yes. i feel that with this power, the gears are gonna be fairly shallow, but i have an idea to combat that. it is gonna be a street bike, as much as that pains me, but the casette doesnt have a creeper gear. i did the math, and i need a 6 to 1 for dirt use, but that will be very hard to make. i can make an about 5.5 to 1. (with a jackshaft) which should work ok. im gonna have about 65 ft lbs of torque, and with pedals, you can make more, so i hope i wont break the chain. its gonna have a centrifugal clutch, because there is no room for a cub cadet, or belt clutch. im gonna leave the governer in, and leave the engine 100000% stock. i need help connecting the throttle cable, on the below tank bracket. i really need a picture. speaking of pictures, i have mocked up the engine. let the build begin.

I am open to any advice, from the people that know about high power, and gears.

OIP.ZntCiRXPOpnJ_0y8h3BpoQHaEn

i got it to work!!! more springs is always the answer. 7th is off limits, and the ratchet tends to bounce abit, but other than that, its good!

if the ratchet were to be locked, would the gears act funny, when coasting, like if you push a bike backwards, you cant shift gears

You can only shift going forward because of the chain returning to the cassette is on the bottom. That's where the derailleur moves the chain to different cassettes while moving, won't work if wheel is at rest. Different derailleurs are designed for say 5sp, 7/8sp or even more nowadays. More cassettes the more movement is designed into the derailleur.

Back