Air compressor to gas engine

If you still want to build the compressor engine I think a cheaper idea would to be check craigslist. I would only try to make a single cylinder at first.

Been thinking about this again. Most of the air compressors don’t have a thru shaft crank only one side has a shaft. This may or may not be a problem. You’d have to use a lawnmower flywheel and ignition and also attach a pulley. Some weed eater motors only have one shaft. Some have a removable plate on the other side. If they don’t have a full side cover it will be nearly impossible to adapt to a dual shafted crank. You would have to slice part of the case and drill and tap it (if it’s thick enough). It would look perfect on a drop loop style board track bike. Cam and valves are another issue you would have to have pushrod tubes and make or use a new head. It would be sweet building something and hearing it fire up for the first time.

Just bought me a Makita MAC5501G 5.5hp compressor. Comes with a Eagle Air PV02A twin cylinder air end made by Woods Industries. Woods/Eagle also make a 3 cylinder:

Eagle Woods 3 cyl compressor page

Back