Air compressor to gas engine

RocketJ

Local time
11:34 AM
Okay, here's something I've had in mins for a while. Lowes and HB sell these v twin air compressors that are relatively cheap. They put out between 2-7hp. Im wondering how feasible it would be to convert it to a combustion engine. It seema like all the parta are there, sans the cam shafts and a carb. What do you think?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181018-061326.png
    Screenshot_20181018-061326.png
    534.8 KB · Views: 203
They don't put out any power, they require a 2-7 HP motor to turn them.

If you're a really talented machinist you could make new cylinder heads and use Kohler v-twin parts for the valvetrain. If you're not, then it ain't gonna happen.

People have done it on YouTube. Jonathan w made a Quincy air compressor into an engine. compressor pistons are different might need modification or substitute them for a different piston. I took apart a tiny compressor used to inflate tires and thought the same thing. Also makerj101 turned a refrigerator compressor into a 2 stroke engine. A flywheel from a riding mower engine may work but you would have to setup the ignition so it works. Would be cool to see a vtwin motorized bike. Would look like one of the original motorcycles. Also just because the electric motor used to drive it is 3hp, that doesn’t mean once it’s converted to gas it will be 3hp.

People have done it on YouTube. Jonathan w made a Quincy air compressor into an engine. compressor pistons are different might need modification or substitute them for a different piston. I took apart a tiny compressor used to inflate tires and thought the same thing. Also makerj101 turned a refrigerator compressor into a 2 stroke engine. A flywheel from a riding mower engine may work but you would have to setup the ignition so it works. Would be cool to see a vtwin motorized bike. Would look like one of the original motorcycles. Also just because the electric motor used to drive it is 3hp, that doesn’t mean once it’s converted to gas it will be 3hp.
So probably more work than it's worth?

$79 isn’t that much for the 3hp one and if you can get used free parts or have a mill might be a cool project. You would have to bore a hole for the shaft on the one side and machine a place for a bearing and seal. The other day at work I noticed an in-line twin air compressor but might even be able to get a compressor from a junk yard for a couple bucks.

$79 isn’t that much for the 3hp one and if you can get used free parts or have a mill might be a cool project. You would have to bore a hole for the shaft on the one side and machine a place for a bearing and seal. The other day at work I noticed an in-line twin air compressor but might even be able to get a compressor from a junk yard for a couple bucks.
not a bad idea. I don't tthink it would be too hard to bore a hole and place a bearing. I love the idea of the 3 cylinder radial set up. They're very nice looking and would work great on my morgan 3 wheeler project.

My only concern is whether or not the pistons would hold up to the combustion. They're cast iron which worked great for older motorcycles, but would they work for this kind of project.

I’m assuming they would if the compression was lower than modern engines like the early 1900’s vtwins. Back then a 500cc engine would only rate as 3hp. Long pushrods would need to be sourced. Might be able to find some forged pistons to fit the bores.

I’m assuming they would if the compression was lower than modern engines like the early 1900’s vtwins. Back then a 500cc engine would only rate as 3hp. Long pushrods would need to be sourced. Might be able to find some forged pistons to fit the bores.
Why the pushrods? From what I cann tell, the compressor already comes with valves in place. I wonder if I can get away with using those.

Back