Air Leak Is Fixed - Air Leak Is Back - Air Leak Is Fixed - Air Leak Is Back ...

yuckfoo

Local time
11:26 PM
I have an air leak around the carb clamp area. It's either at the carb or at the connection between the carb and my extended intake. This is my second carb with the same problem. I've replaced the cheap carb clamp screw with a stainless steel one. It will tighten up until it won't anymore. I'm using electronic parts cleaner instead of WD-40 to check for leaks because unlike WD-40 it leaves no residue whatsoever and it's much more flammable.

Either the electronic parts cleaner is too flammable, or much lighter or finer than the WD-40 so it gets in there a lot easier, or maybe most of you have a small air leak like I do and don't know it. I doubt that I've had two carbs with the same mysterious fault. Next time I check, I'm going to bring some WD-40 out with me and compare the two products. It could be interesting. But, on to my real question ...

Have any of you used Permatex or some other kind of sealant between your carb and intake? If so, what is good. Is it a bad idea? If so why? It's a small enough air leak that I don't think it's really hurting anything but it's pissin' me off and I want it fixed. 😁Thanks.

Have any of you used Permatex or some other kind of sealant between your carb and intake?
Yes, I use Gasgacinch. Swab some on, and push the carburetor on. It's non-hardening and easy to remove.

Attachments

• Gasgacinch_01.jpg
    Gasgacinch_01.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 114
It will tighten up until it won't anymore.
The clamp holds the carb on, but doesn't make the seal. There should be a rubber O ring seated in the clamp tube. The O ring is the seal, but doesn't always seat well against the end of the intake. Silicone sealer would work great if it wasn't so hard to get off. Use Gasgacinch instead. It's a light bodied rubber cement, now packaged and sold under the Edelbrock label.

Attachments

• Gasgacinch_02.jpg
    Gasgacinch_02.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 119
The clamp holds the carb on, but doesn't make the seal. There should be a rubber O ring seated in the clamp tube. The O ring is the seal, but doesn't always seat well against the end of the intake. Silicone sealer would work great if it wasn't so hard to get off. Use Gasgacinch instead. It's a light bodied rubber cement, now packaged and sold under the Edelbrock label.
Neither of my carbs came with an o-ring, but I did purchase a small bag of them. I do have an o-ring in there.

I see there are different types: 440-A; 440-B; 440-C; 9300 ... Also, is this the same thing as rubber cement?
[edit] A, B, and C are the parts number and refer to number of ounces per can.

LOL, rubber cement is OLD SCHOOL stuff. What a mess almost as bad as super glue.

There should be a rubber O ring seated in the clamp tube. The O ring is the seal
but it's pissin' me off and I want it fixed.
Hopefully you are using "Viton" "O" rings since they are gas and oil resistant, other "O" rings may well dissolve over time and cause a gooey mess in the carbie...DAMIEN

You can use anything flammable for checking leaks, but the finer the mist/spray is, it will be easy for it to blow around & be sucked thru air filter causing a rpm change, propane works good too. I use right stuff silicone or ultra black silicone to seal my slip on carbs. Right, wrong or indifferent that's what I do & never had a issue.

Back