Engine Trouble air leak

wan37

Local time
6:51 AM
Ok I have a 80cc and a 48cc.I have had troubles with the 80cc from the time I mounted it.
So I swap the good running 48cc to the bike. The only thing I left on was the new speed carb
that I bought with the 80cc and off set z tube. I had to use the z tube intake on the 48cc
because of the bike, and now the 48cc runs bad just like the 80cc did. I have a air leak and
I know it. Really bad when I squeeze the clutch lever it's run away idle. Here's my main question
how do you find it? The engine is run away so I can't spray nothing on it to see if it idles up to find
It.

It's possible that when you changed the intake, you needed to lengthen the cable adjustment. with the longer intake, the cable may be too short, holding the slide up too far to get a low idle. If it is indeed an air leak, a thourough visual inspection will usually locate the problem. Check out the intake welds, maybe tape the welds, those Chinese welders are far from perfect!

I have another shorter z tube which I like better but the welds leak on it. So I have to use this longer one.I wonder if this will work, I have a centrifugal clutch when I let the clutch out it drop down in idle so should I spray around the intake and carb then or is that too dangerous

That'll be one wild ride!!! Please don't do that. Try the cable adjustment first, you may not even have an air leak. Also, back the idle screw out so it will be a non-factor.

I will work on it tonight and will let you know what worked I will try the cable adjustment first then.

instead of spraying, have you tried smearing heavy grease all over it?

if the grease makes the problem go away, then you've plugged the leak - then just remove grease a bit at a time till the leak comes back

I have it now where it idles a little lower but still not right So I think I'm going to change throttle cable first. I think there was a couple problems. So I know I fix one I tighten the intake at the engine. Now it either welds on intake or where the carb attaches to in take or throttle cable to tight. I'm going to do stuff one at a time until I find it.You guys have been very helpful. Thanks again!!

Last edited:
update: I have change throttle cable to a new one, still not right. I have it doing this now, Idles good when started with choke on so I turn the choke off and ride it for a couple blocks then if I squeeze the clutch lever it revs real high.So I'm stumped still both throttle cables do the same results. I also tried the tape and then grease around the intake at the welds no such luck there either. I also have o ring it the nt carb too and seal all at the intake to engine with new gasket. I'm just wondering why it does it when the engine warms up I guess?

Back