Tubes Air thieves

darwin

Local time
7:08 AM
Ive owned vehicles all my life and never had to put air in tires on a weekly basis. What is up with bicycle tires n tubes nowadays? Ive done the spit test on the valve stems and both front and back dont leak. Mysteriously though every weekend my tires lose 30 psi, Im scratching my head and its a pain in the arse. Do I need to do an air dance or pray to the tire gods or what?.............Someone is stealing my AIR!

Time to pull the tubes and put them under water. Bet there are really small punctures or really slow valve stem leaks.

I've found that pulling the valve stem core, putting some rubber cement it and re-installing will cure valve stem leak.

I wonder what bicycle shops have to say about -- airing up ??? I owned a bicycle shop -- many, many years ago -- 1970-1973... If I remember right - after putting a new bicycle together -- filling the tires to max -- they seemed to hold air -- enough to ride anyway -- for some time -- couple of months -- but when sold needed to be topped off -- with some air.. My MB (mountainbike) with regular factory tubes -- seems to stay up (air) for around 2 to 3 weeks before needing more air.. Feel like I am blowing hot air here.. PS - if we are losing 30 lbs of air in one week we should -- check for leaks - or - buy new tubes.. Happy Riding from - Mountainman

It is true that compared to a car's tire bicycle tires will lose air faster. This is due to the higher pressures and the thinner rubber being more porous.

I found that after switching to thorn-resistant (thicker) tubes, I go much longer between "air-ups", months vs. weeks with standard tubes.

On my bikes the tubes with SLIME in them hold air quite a while longer than the tubes without the SLIME.

I'm with az cra-z on this one. Try the thorn proof tubes if you aren't using them already. The thicker (at least twice as thick) rubber will be less porous and hold air longer. Not only that, they're much more durable. I switched to these on my Whizzer after 2 flat tires in one month.

Well, some of the variation could be due to temperature, though I wouldn't think by 30psi. I find in my 'regular' bike, that I air up to 130psi in the rear and 100psi in the front, they lose about 10psi or so in a week. I would look into thorn resistant tires as another suggested, maybe even slime. -- John

If your ride is outside there is also the posibility of a jerk with a lolipop stick deflating you. :(

Got any neighbors who might be mad for some reason?

Back