Airvane powered bike

Will'smotobikes19

Local time
11:34 AM
Would it be possible to build an airmotor powered bike with a small turbo? (handmade- smaller than rhb31) Idea would be a single tank design. Was looking at the Gast air motors and they look pretty intriguing. there are no valves only intake and exhaust inlets. It may be possible to attach the small diameter turbo piping to a secondary inlet port on the inlet fitting. Cooling fins could span the whole length of the piping or an intercooler could be added. Colder air = more power on a gasoline turbo system. Ideas?

Last edited:
Just had another idea- the gears out of a honda Z50 but with a redesigned housing made of teflon or high temp plastic with stainless-ceramic bearings. The air motor could bolt right onto the gearbox and use the primary drive gear from the Z50 crank and mount onto the airmotor shaft. Here is a modified moped using air from a few years back. it only has 1 or 2 gears though and 2 tanks.

Last edited:
let me get this straight, your goal is to make a airpowered moped with the turbo correct?

well, that might not work the way you see it, since air motors are basically turbo chargers with a shaft attached to it.

id personally look into making a super high pressure air system (ie 2000-3000psi to get the most amount of air into the tanks)

and then adding a reducer to take whatever air motor your using. and for gearing, you could use use a fixed gear ratio and make it work that way (since if you add gears it will make thing less efficient and make it more complex)

just a thought

air powered is not efficient...
For instance take a 100 watt fan and put it on a bike. Will it move the bike? No......
Take a 100 watt motor and put it on the bike and it will move at 13 mph....

The reason air does not work is because momentum = mass x velocity...
Air is extremely light weight, so even when propelled at high speeds, the total momentum is very low...
I saw a video of someone putting a predator 720 paraglider, 22hp fan on a bike and its top speed was like 25ish something MPH... Now that is a 25 hp engine mind you with a paraglide propeller thats like 3 feet in diameter. That 25hp motor directly on the bike would be like 100mph.
Not to mention turbulent flow and stuff, eats at efficiency for sure.
F = ma, even if the air is accelerated, its mass is little, so not much force.
Air planes work and are fast but they are terribly inefficient. Its just because they throw so much horse power at it. EACH jet engines are like 110,000 horsepower or around 70 mega watts!!!! So 2 makes 140 mega watts!!!!! Compare that to a train loco which is only 5 mega watts or like 900 horse power. Even a bullet train at 300mph, is maybe only 10-15 mega watts tops.
Case in point to make a fast jet bike, you can either put a 1hp engine on a bicycle like a 2stroke and go 30 mph, or put a 30hp jet engine on your bike and go 30mph. Its up to you really... But put a 1hp jet engine on a bike and youll be lucky to even get 4 mph

Last edited:
Other Idea was a 2/4 stroke hybrid. Small displacement like 40cc-49cc, Light weight 4 stroke bottom end with a single port 2 stroke head, no transfer ports on the side and it would use a cam on the flywheel for the power stroke. Again with an appropriate sized turbo or other mechanism it could compress a charge of air and release in with the main charge from the stored tank simultaneously. Turbo does need to spool though so probably something else would work. Some type of secondary pressure chamber could be added that releases when the button is pushed by the cam with the main blast of air. Here's an example of what I'm talking about with an open exhaust. The front brake, in fact could be a small air compressor attached to a belt which slows the bike with a clutch or regular brake but also compresses air into a secondary auxiliary tank/power source possibly part of the frame. All of these hydraulic parts/ fittings are available I'm sure. The supercharger/turbo and the front brake compressor both filling the AUX tank could make it more efficient. and it could have it's own throttle almost like nitrous in a car. (slower of course) The inlet fitting if it was a venturi shaped ID like on a carburetor would it increase power?

Last edited:
air powered is not efficient...
For instance take a 100 watt fan and put it on a bike. Will it move the bike? No......
Take a 100 watt motor and put it on the bike and it will move at 13 mph....

The reason air does not work is because momentum = mass x velocity...
Air is extremely light weight, so even when propelled at high speeds, the total momentum is very low...
I saw a video of someone putting a predator 720 paraglider, 22hp fan on a bike and its top speed was like 25ish something MPH... Now that is a 25 hp engine mind you with a paraglide propeller thats like 3 feet in diameter. That 25hp motor directly on the bike would be like 100mph.
Not to mention turbulent flow and stuff, eats at efficiency for sure.
F = ma, even if the air is accelerated, its mass is little, so not much force.
Air planes work and are fast but they are terribly inefficient. Its just because they throw so much horse power at it. EACH jet engines are like 110,000 horsepower or around 70 mega watts!!!! So 2 makes 140 mega watts!!!!! Compare that to a train loco which is only 5 mega watts or like 900 horse power. Even a bullet train at 300mph, is maybe only 10-15 mega watts tops.
Case in point to make a fast jet bike, you can either put a 1hp engine on a bicycle like a 2stroke and go 30 mph, or put a 30hp jet engine on your bike and go 30mph. Its up to you really... But put a 1hp jet engine on a bike and youll be lucky to even get 4 mph

Skip to 10:20 for a top speed run. 60kmh or 37mph (theres english subtitles)
If i converted it right this is a 100 watt jet engine, its 100 newtons force or 10kg pushing force.

This one is a paramotor bike, its a 15kw engine, and a 1 meter long prop.
6:40 for top speed run. 78kmh or 48,5mph

This proves that because air is moving WAY faster, with the jet engine, 140k RPM, it goes fast enough. But with a 380ml or 12oz per minute fuel consumption, its not really worth it.
Also, "bottled air" is not a good way to go far.

Skip to 10:20 for a top speed run. 60kmh or 37mph (theres english subtitles)
If i converted it right this is a 100 watt jet engine, its 100 newtons force or 10kg pushing force.

This one is a paramotor bike, its a 15kw engine, and a 1 meter long prop.
6:40 for top speed run. 78kmh or 48,5mph

This proves that because air is moving WAY faster, with the jet engine, 140k RPM, it goes fast enough. But with a 380ml or 12oz per minute fuel consumption, its not really worth it.
Also, "bottled air" is not a good way to go far.

huh very interesting... 100 newtons can only accelerate a 100 kg object at 1m/s/s
I could be wrong.
what da ya know, but I would love to get a horse power spec on those jet engines... All I was saying is that they are less
efficient than a gas vehicle, and that a 1hp jet engine would be no good, would need a lot more hp.
I suppose the ones there are like 15hp at least.... Well at least I was sort of on the right track, a 15kw motor is around 22hp, which seems to go around 48 mph not the 35 which I was saying... haha. But a 15kw direct drive would be pushing around 110 mph....

Yep.. theres a lot of power lost with air moving all around and creating turbulence. Air powered stuff really are useless.
Direct drive, or even eliminating the chain (hub drive) is the best way, because you will get the least amount of loss.
Also electric motors are way better because internal combustion engines lose like 50% efficiency to heat. Electric ones, more like 5-10%.

Back