All new comers read this before you buy a 4 stroke kit

michael whiteman

Local time
1:11 PM

Don't be certain you'll get what you see in the add when ordering from E-bay sellers. May be true on Amazon also. The kit I ordered from this seller above came as a total surprise. I noticed things in his add that made no sense. Looking at the main picture #1, I saw that it has a belt drive trans. Then in #2 it shows a chain drive trans. Again in #7 it is a belt drive for a tapered shaft engine which you'll find to be a rare combination for an E-bay kit. Now I'm really confused so I contact the seller and he replies that #8 is the trany that comes in his kit. What he sent me was a belt drive trany that fits a straight shaft engine which I also received. I'm upset because my end goal was to purchase a GruBee trans in the future, but now it will not fit this straight shaft engine. After getting over all this (and this is totally my personal opinion) I concluded that the clutch bell support on a straight shaft engine is of a superior design, even though it limits you to this one transmission. I tried to contact the seller 4 times with no reply at all. I get E-bay involved and they get back to me saying all I can do is send it back. I explained that if I did, he would be paying the shipping and that seeing as I decided to keep it I would like to be refunded that cost of shipping to make up for the false advertising and the lies he told me. You can guess... E-bay just laughed at that. So my advise to all of you who are considering this...........buy from a reliable dealer who knows exactly what they are selling and can help you if there are any issues involved with your purchase. The extra expense will be well worth it for sure. I am totally convinced now the E-bay sellers just get a sealed box from the manufacturer in China and stick it on their warehouse shelf until the day they ship it to you. They never open it and wouldn't know what they were looking at if they did. Go to their "store" page and look at all the other Chinese junk they're trying to sell us.

The scary thing still with the belt drive trans. is you can not determine if the engine it's attached to has a tapered or a straight shaft without removing it and the advertising pictures seldom, if ever, show this. There is an early and a later transmission casting. The later improved casting shows the 4 nuts being exposed around the shaft under the chain sprocket. On the earlier casting you see nothing but a protrusion in the aluminum that contains a threaded hole on the inside. Look closely at pic #1 and you can see one of the four protrusions.

This trans below is for a tapered shaft engine

belt drive tapered shaft .jpg

This trans below is for a straight shaft engine

belt drive straight shaft.jpg

Let me stop here and clarify to newcomers that when you read or hear "straight shaft" engines there are 2 different ones to consider. The most commonly referred to is the Hausheng from China. Their shaft measures 15mm ( 0.595” ) and has a threaded hole in the end. Sometimes it's called 5/8"......but be aware that it is .030 less than 5/8”. The Predator at Harbor Freight is the other engine that has a 5/8" straight shaft.

Now if you want to learn about chain drive transmissions take a look at the BikeBerry website. Although they have a poor reputation for customer service they do a very good job explaining their product. Ordering a single item form them is probably safe. Everyone has an opinion about their kits. Watch the video comparing a single chain and dual chain trans. and you'll learn all about them.

No matter what trans you decide on you will need to know the gear ratio to determine your top speed, and choose a rear wheel sprocket.
There are many speed calculators on the web to choose from that will help in determining this. Do this first so you can decide if the trans and sprocket in the kit you are considering will give you the performance you're expecting.

Belt drive trans have a 20T and a 100T pulley ratio 5:1
Single chain trans have a 9T and a 27T sprocket ratio 3:1
Dual chain trans have a 6T and a 41T sprocket ratio 6.83:1

I sincerely hope this gets you started in the direction you want and not end up like I did. For me it was a welcome mistake in the end. michael

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Well, If pic 1 or 2 or 7 didn't send up warning signs..... I take it that it was your fault then ... Just saying.

I get E-bay involved and they get back to me saying all I can do is send it back. I explained that if I did, he would be paying the shipping and that seeing as I decided to keep it I would like to be refunded that cost of shipping to make up for the false advertising and the lies he told me. You can guess... E-bay just laughed at that. So my advise to all of you who are considering this
And once again...I tell everyone...Dont trust ebay...dont buy from ebay...enough said...just one more example to say, "ebay cannot be trusted"...DAMIEN

And once again...I tell everyone...Dont trust ebay...dont buy from ebay...enough said...just one more example to say, "ebay cannot be trusted"...DAMIEN
I spend thousands a year there. Got to read the fine print. I get sweet deals, and can haggle with the seller, f yeah I'm gone a. lol ;)

Don't be certain you'll get what you see in the add when ordering from E-bay sellers. May be true on Amazon also. The kit I ordered from this seller above came as a total surprise. I noticed things in his add that made no sense. Looking at the main picture #1, I saw that it has a belt drive trans. Then in #2 it shows a chain drive trans. Again in #7 it is a belt drive for a tapered shaft engine which you'll find to be a rare combination for an E-bay kit. Now I'm really confused so I contact the seller and he replies that #8 is the trany that comes in his kit. What he sent me was a belt drive trany that fits a straight shaft engine which I also received. I'm upset because my end goal was to purchase a GruBee trans in the future, but now it will not fit this straight shaft engine. After getting over all this (and this is totally my personal opinion) I concluded that the clutch bell support on a straight shaft engine is of a superior design, even though it limits you to this one transmission. I tried to contact the seller 4 times with no reply at all. I get E-bay involved and they get back to me saying all I can do is send it back. I explained that if I did, he would be paying the shipping and that seeing as I decided to keep it I would like to be refunded that cost of shipping to make up for the false advertising and the lies he told me. You can guess... E-bay just laughed at that. So my advise to all of you who are considering this...........buy from a reliable dealer who knows exactly what they are selling and can help you if there are any issues involved with your purchase. The extra expense will be well worth it for sure. I am totally convinced now the E-bay sellers just get a sealed box from the manufacturer in China and stick it on their warehouse shelf until the day they ship it to you. They never open it and wouldn't know what they were looking at if they did. Go to their "store" page and look at all the other Chinese junk they're trying to sell us.

The scary thing still with the belt drive trans. is you can not determine if the engine it's attached to has a tapered or a straight shaft without removing it and the advertising pictures seldom, if ever, show this. There is an early and a later transmission casting. The later improved casting shows the 4 nuts being exposed around the shaft under the chain sprocket. On the earlier casting you see nothing but a protrusion in the aluminum that contains a threaded hole on the inside. Look closely at pic #1 and you can see one of the four protrusions.

View attachment 157215

View attachment 157216
Let me stop here and clarify to newcomers that when you read or hear "straight shaft" engines there are 2 different ones to consider. The most commonly referred to is the Hausheng from China. Their shaft measures 15mm ( 0.595” ) and has a threaded hole in the end. Sometimes it's called 5/8"......but be aware that it is .030 less than 5/8”. The Predator at Harbor Freight is the other engine that has a 5/8" straight shaft.

Now if you want to learn about chain drive transmissions take a look at the BikeBerry website. Although they have a poor reputation for customer service they do a very good job explaining their product. Ordering a single item form them is probably safe. Everyone has an opinion about their kits. Watch the video comparing a single chain and dual chain trans. and you'll learn all about them.

No matter what trans you decide on you will need to know the gear ratio to determine your top speed, and choose a rear wheel sprocket.
There are many speed calculators on the web to choose from that will help in determining this. Do this first so you can decide if the trans and sprocket in the kit you are considering will give you the performance you're expecting.

I sincerely hope this gets you started in the direction you want and not end up like I did. For me it was a welcome mistake in the end. michael
Gotta read the fine print. I one time bought some tiny mirrors for my laser hobby fun. I didn't read the ad, lol. I thought they had tape, but the tile was saying they have a side prepped for tape or glue. lol. An then in the description it said it boldly, " Prepped for adhesive" . I liked the mirrors though, so didn't matter.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.

View attachment 157215

View attachment 157216

Do you or anyone know where one can purchase the bushing in the 2nd transmission? also it would be great to know how to convert the straight shaft engine to the ball bearing clutch as the first picture maybe with some spacers and a smaller clutch flyweight. I had to order a whole new tapered shaft engine because my clutch bushing wore out and I bought a double chain gearbox for it.

Hey Will......go to the Transmission/Drivetrain Forum and check out the posts that MikeST wrote on replacing that brass bushing with an Oil Lite bushing. He also discussed the possibility of needle bearings as a replacement but that doesn't really work due to the keyway slot in the shaft. Sorry to hear you had to start over with a new engine. I think we all could have helped save your original set up.

The engine still runs fine Just the bushing killed the setup. I had to rivet the guide ring on the jack shaft pulley too with 4 homemade rivets. My advice is not to ever get a bushing engine kit and make sure its a tapered shaft engine.

I'm not too familiar with a lot of these names. I assume the "jack shaft" connects the 100T aluminum pulley to the 10T drive sprocket. Is the "guide ring" the black steel ring on each edge of the 100T pulley ? That black ring on mine kissed the clutch bell because of the inferior Chinese machine tolerances. I removed one of my rings to obtain the necessary clearance. Even with a 0.100" wobble, the belt tracks in the center of my pulley just fine without it.

It seems like the 15mm/ 5/8" shaft versions are the ones making their way into the mainstream. That's what I ended up with, too. I'm also reasonably sure it's NOT 53cc, either, as advertised. I like the oil-lite bushing idea.

View attachment 157215

View attachment 157216

There are several gas bike kits available even on GasBike.net and KingsMotorBikes.com. My first bike kit came from GasBike and
it had the 49cc Hausheng straight shaft engine. The kit was the "Ghost Racer 7G T-Belt Drive V-Mount Engine Kit." I've got a ton of
miles on that engine and kit.

The kit still has the original bell, belt, clutch and mushroom bearing on it. I relube the mushroom bearing
every 250 miles and clean the clutch since oil will seep out on it from the bearing.

I started experimenting with different ways to keep the transmission from being jerky on takeoff and I found that it was from the clutch getting glazed. You can sand the glaze off of the clutch pads which did help but it would eventually return.

I think I came up with a solution since the 212cc CVT clutch uses a coating of graphite on the clutch surface and it never gave these kind of problems. I knew I would have to eventually replace the belt, bell and all parts associated with the transmission so I went ahead and sprayed the clutch pads with graphite.

This will case a little slippage but it does work without the jerking on takeoff until up to speed. Failure on this transmission is usually caused by the mushroom pressed bearing seizing up so maintenace has to be maintained by keeping it lubed since it is a oil lite bearing of pressed brass.
There are better transmissions available for the Hausheng engine but they are expensive but better.

Back