Engine Trouble All put together. I just can't start it. [ spark fluids ]

As a auto tech, using starter fluid in anything is not a good ideal. I've seen so many damaged motors by starter fluid, and YES you can blow a motor with starter fluid, I've done it myself!! You are better off using WD40, try it.

I have used WD40 to start my 2 cycle Evinrude Outboard motor on many occasions. All the old mechanics I learned from called starting fluid "Bent Rod in a Can". Starting fluid works, but please use sparingly if you like your motor. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
since i use a zippo anyways, i just squirt a bit of lighter fluid in there...sometimes i add a squirt of 3-in-1 to assure a dry motor doesn't wipe itself.

i only do this when i need to know if an engine will fire...i never try to run it on that mix.

Here's a tip to check spark instead of using a screwdriver in the plug wire and trying to crank the motor. Go to your local auto parts store, for about $3.00 get a spark plug tester. It's a spark plug with aligator clips, you just use your plug wire on the test plug and clip it to a ground on your bike, makes it alot easier . Or if you are as cheap as I am, use a old spark plug and buy a bag of aligator clips for like $1.00 and solder it to your new test plug.

Please educate me. How can ether blow a gasoline engine and how is WD-40 better? I would like appreciate some insight into the matter with the actual mechanism of action of how this occurs in a gas engine THANKS!

PS Example of why ether is bad for a diesel engine: Ether can damage a diesel engine in the following ways: If ether is sprayed before glow plugs are engaged, it is possible for it to ignite and blow the head off. If too much ether is sprayed into intake while cranking, the diesel engine can start and run away..meaning over rev engine well past redline. Ether can cause glow plugs to swell and they can break off if trying to replace them..resultant pieces can cause engine damage.

rcjunkie said:
Please educate me. How can ether blow a gasoline engine and how is WD-40 better? I would like appreciate some insight into the matter with the actual mechanism of action of how this occurs in a gas engine THANKS!

PS Example of why ether is bad for a diesel engine: Ether can damage a diesel engine in the following ways: If ether is sprayed before glow plugs are engaged, it is possible for it to ignite and blow the head off. If too much ether is sprayed into intake while cranking, the diesel engine can start and run away..meaning over rev engine well past redline. Ether can cause glow plugs to swell and they can break off if trying to replace them..resultant pieces can cause engine damage.

Ether is more explosive then gasoline and diesel fuel. The biggest problem is that people use too much. I have seen pistons with hole's the size of golf balls,bent rods, head bolts streched, burned valves, it's just nasty when you load ether on top of the piston. WD40 is less explosive and you also add luburcation witch makes it way better for 2-strokes and diesel. Ether can do big time damage to piston rings and cylinder walls because it washes out all your lubercation. If you are wondering if you are getting fuel? Just pull your plug out and see if it's wet, Try my tip to check for spark. It doesnt matter if its a 4-stroke,2-stroke, or diesel, use too much you will damage your motor,you may not notice it right away, second, it just robs your motor of lubercation. At are shop, you will find no ether.

Fair - you can go into you profile, click off the "Disable BBcode in this post" and then quotes, bolds, underlines all work. If you leave it off, makes pic loading a breeze too.

bbg

Ok, thanks for the info. I'll stick with my ether since I have been using it for 20 years without a hitch. A little shot is all you need and I agree that using too much can be harmful.

Back