all right, bad idea time

modificationvt

Local time
3:52 AM
I have been sick the last couple days, and in my down time I started missing my motorcycle, and thats when I stumbled upon mororedbikes, and I am currently waiting on a 49cc engine to put on my Western flyer special addition, with my goal being to replicate the look of an antique motorcycle.

well last night I was still thinking about how a motored bike will only kinda fill my want of a motorcycle, and then it hit me, I have two 125CC two stroke dirt bikes (one got stolen, I bought a new one, then three years later the stolen one got returned to me)

I got to thinking, a lot of the old motorcycles where two strokes, and I know that on my dirt bike the motor definatly goes fast enough and has enough torque for any time of motorcycle riding I would do...so the question is, how bad of an idea would it be to build a board track racer style motorcycle around a 125cc 6 speed two stroke?

I understand that this is moving out of the motored bike world, and into the motorcycle world, but this is the only two wheels with an engine forum I am on

I don't think I'd trust the Western Flyer with that much power in it. You'd be better of building a frame from scratch.

does your dirt bike have a VIN # ? put a SLA based light system on it, register and ride it.

way better and safer all the way around.

steve

I second MountainMan; don't put it in a bicycle.

But if you built a frame around that engine that is up to the task, you'll have something.

I second MountainMan; don't put it in a bicycle.

But if you built a frame around that engine that is up to the task, you'll have something.
Huh?? MountainMan said something???
Are you on meds or do you need to take them? :devilish:

Here is a Yamaha GT 80 stuffed into a bicycle.....
Way too much motor for this bike
Don't ya just love the kiddie seat :D

Attachments

• yamaha 80gt motor.jpg
    yamaha 80gt motor.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 177
problem is we don't take our meds

Huh?? MountainMan said something???
Are you on meds or do you need to take them?

we don't take our meds anymore -- that could be the problem !!!

your picture of the Yamaha doesn't come up on my computer Forbisher
got to agree with you though
that's a lot of HP to be throwing onto a bicycle frame

ride that MB

Whoops..... I wrote "MountainMan" when I meant "Alaskavan"

(Now I'd better double check and make sure I have that right. Then I'd better take a bike ride. this coffee's twisting my head :)

ok, let me clarify some things, the western flyer will be getting the 49cc HT motor, and I would be custom building a frame around the 125cc motor, (most likely I would be copping up and rebuilding an old motorcycle frame) I was more just wondering what the downfalls of using a 2 stroke where over a four stroke. (after all I assume motorcycles evolved to four stroke engines for a reason.)

as far as I can tell, 2 strokes give more power for the size, easier to work on, and have less parts to break. about the only downside I can see is you have to mix some oil in the gas...

I believe that drugs should be used for recreational purposes only. I never refer to them as "meds".
On topic. My opinion - the 2-stroke has better bottom end torque (good for dirt riding), the 4-stroke has a better top-end (good for winding it out).
Not really a concern for your project unless you have someone you are planning to race against.

Back