Engine Trouble All the research isn't helping, the SOB will not run!

Also, you shouldn't waste your time with the Delorto carburettor. Just get a Rock Solid Engines reed valve intake as well as the Rock Solid Engines diaphragm carburettor (otherwise known as a Walbro style carburettor) kit.

This is the only route you should be looking at when it comes to the intake side of things. No more messing around with jets and and float heights and pulling off the d.a.m.n fuel bowl and spilling fuel everywhere.

Just a simple twist of the low and high speed needles and it's job done; perfect carburation from the word "go"

One annoying possibility is that somewhere your kill switch circuit is
shorting out. when this happened to me, it sometimes ran, sometimes
not. Or it ran with no power & died the instant I applied throttle.

P.S. Fabian, I really like the looks of that reed valve kit.

Last edited:
Whew, tho, that stuff's a wee mite pricy. You could buy 3
china girl engines for the cost. Not that I wouldn't love to
try it; it's just a bit beyond a pensioner's means. I think the
carb is a Walbro WYK series. If so, it would be a good deal
cheaper from walbro direct. I just don't know the model #
for sure.

Rock Solid Engines makes modifications to the diaphragm carburettor in their kit, so you are paying for the machine time and labour. At the end of the day, you get what you pay for, which is a quality product.

Just the reed valve intake on it's own significantly reduces intake noise but when you combine it with the diaphragm carburettor and air filter extension housing and air filter, the noise is even further reduced.
When 2.5 feet of high temperature silicone hose is attached to the standard exhaust pipe tip, the exhaust noise is virtually silent (under power), with only the intake letting you know that you've got a real engine in the bike and not some electric job that requires 50 lithium battery packs to travel 20 miles.

Could be a simple manifold air leak. Don't give up, take a break, try again later . What about fuel level in carb bowl. One cleaning should do it, multiple cleanings might hint at low float level ?

so, 3 pages, and not one thread with solid advice on actually diagnosing the problem?

start with the basics. ignition. how to test?

theres spark? good. now take the freaking carby off!

pour some gas down the hole, and give it a spin...if it fires, how simple... what has changed? oh! we removed the carby! so the carb is the problem. or fuel flow to said device, which can be isolated to the filter, the hose, the tank cap not venting, yarda yarda. in the carb? jet, needle, airleaks and fuel height.

you clean the carb, but do you stick a bristle from a toothbrush through the jet and ensure its clean? hold it to the light and see its a fullcircle?

it didnt have spark? start finding out why. too many threads on that topic!

it had spark, no carb, yet didnt fire on raw fuel? then either the magneto rotor is on backwards, has no key fitted at all(ie, a TIMING issue) or, the crank seals are bust. seals are easy to pick by filling the crankcase with petrol... or something less flammable for safety. water. washed out immediately with alcohol, then oiled up again to stop rust.

forget about all these silly little upgrades, forget about throwing money at something you dont want to use...(its for your son? well...make sure he wears a helmet, knows the road rules, and behaves himself! or we will all kick his butt, and yours, if you get it going) and just start with the basics.

i may have posted this a long time ago, yes...its rather dated, and i dont have any newer videos due to me having the same type of experiences with china electronics as youre currently having with china bikes :) not so easy to fix, unfortunately :giggle:

a STOCK STANDARD SKYHAWK 48cc, with ONLY a tuned pipe.

no fancy CDI. no portwork. no beefed up mikuni vm34 carb. no reeds and no freaking PROBLEMS! in fact, the only HT ive never fiddled with! ever! mainly cus the skyhawks build was so superior to anything else i came across, and i want to see how long it lasts. (also the only one i bought and who knows where i got it from anyway? not i, that is fo sho!)

note; not all these engines are the same! ive had awesome, standard and complete POS cr4p that was simply a waste of time. price has had little or no reflection on quality, either!

boiling fuel when it was running sounds like, as you said...really hot, and that is not normal. me myself i, i point my finger directly and very firmly at the o-ring you installed, or a waxy deposit in the jet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back