Almost giving up on my first 4-stroke build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgot... You'll be able to hammer down on the gas all you want after what I mentioned above...

I have been using a spring loaded tensioner for the last month or two, along with the pineapple setup. I tightened the sprocket down a ton (12 ft. lbs) and so far I've ridden 20+ miles with no issue. I check the bolts after every ride. I would use my cnc sprocket but my hub is a non standard size so none work on it.

They make bushings for you adapter to fit any hub... Just measure you hub in inches with a caliper and contact Manicmechanic...

Here's some pictures...

Attachments

• IMG_20200202_182328551~4.jpg
    IMG_20200202_182328551~4.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_20200202_182259285~4.jpg
    IMG_20200202_182259285~4.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_20200202_182259285~3.jpg
    IMG_20200202_182259285~3.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 215
Oh thanks. I'll definitely check them out. My sprocket looks just like that one, I just need the bushing I suppose.

So last summer I saw a video about a motorized bike build on YouTube. Seemed simple enough. Just slap that old 4-stroke on there and bam, cheap motorcycle.

I found my dad's old trash mountain bike and bought the standard Huasheng 4-stoke all in one kit on Ebay. After putting everything together, making sure the chain was tight, and hooking up wires and fuel lines, I was ready to ride off into the hazy sunset of a hot South Texas suburb.

I hoped on my glorious invention, settled back into the insanely small and hard mountain biking seat, and gave the throttle a twist. (had already let it run idle and reved up a bit for an hour to break in) The first mile went well until it didn't. Cruising at maybe 20mph down a flat road was all fun and games until the drive chain committed suicide, with no warning whatsoever the chain ripped in half and wrapped its self around the rear sprocket. This happened about 5 more times, with many attempts to figure out the problem. I checked the chain tension, all good there. Realigned the rear sprocket? Yep... many times.

Eventually I found that the pineapple mount on the rear wheel was the problem child of the whole build. It would come loose or shift no matter how tight I made the nuts, or how much thread locker I put on it. The solution after that was to buy an $80 CNC adjustable sprocket adapter that would clamp onto the rear hub.

That expensive part turned out to not fit my rear hub as it's not a standard hub size. So now I have an expensive paper weight, can't return it with out paying almost more than its worth in fees and shipping. So now I'm left with a bike that's been sitting in the garage taking up space for months and I only got to ride it a mile or two before it died. It makes me so mad because it was so much fun for that short time, and I have so much money put into it just for it to sit and get dusty.

The whole community seems so great, and one time I broke down on the side of the road some guy on a 2 stroke cruiser stopped and helped me unwrap the mangled chain.

So yeah any advice would be greatly appreciated. I really want to get it running, but don't have much more money left to throw at it. Not that I did in the first place lol.

View attachment 91766
Bad picture, sorry.
Nice looking bike. Experts can help you resolve this.

Nice looking bike. Experts can help you resolve this.
Please take notice of the dates and years on the threads as well as the individual posts before replying to them...The thread was begun in 2019 and the last posts were Feb. 20th 2020.

The post you quoted and commented to was posted on
Dec 17, 2019...lol.

There was also a RED LETTER banner right above the box you were typing your post into asking you to NOT play Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead...lol.

By the way, I'm sure he must have resolved his problem by now after three and a half years since his last post on this thread...The person you were replying to was last seen in the forums on Sep 7, 2020...Just hover your mouse cursor over a members name or avatar to find that one out...lol.

I am now locking this thread before we have another Archaeological expedition once again...lol...lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back